Telega on to State semis

  • Franklin Tech's Spencer Telega, top, already has a WMass Division III title under his belt and after two wins on Friday now finds himself in the MIAA Division III State semifinals, which continue this morning at Wakefield High School. RECORDER file photo

Recorder Intern
Published: 2/16/2018 11:26:02 PM

With day one of the 2018 MIAA Division III Wrestling State Tournament in the books, a handful of local wrestlers remain in championship contention at Wakefield High School.

The tournament, which had to postpone some quarterfinal and consolation round matches due to time constraints on Friday night, will resume Saturday morning.

Franklin County Technical School senior Spencer Telega, the second seed in the 152-pound class, is on to the championship semifinals after defeating Dedham High School junior Colin Curran by decision, 3-1, in the opening round, and Wakefield High School senior Ryan Smith by a 6-4 comeback decision in the quarter finals. Telega will have Melrose High School senior Mike Calvert as his semifinal opponent this morning.

Both Mohawk Trail Regional High School senior Gabe Bower and Athol High School junior Chris Waslaske, remain in title contention at 182 pounds, where they will face each other in a quarterfinal match this morning. In the opening round, Bower pinned Triton Regional High School senior Sam Orender in 2:19, while Waslaske defeated Essex Technical High School junior Faissol Ferouni by a 7-1 decision.

Also fighting in the quarterfinals this morning is Mahar Regional School senior Cole Emery, who won his first match at 195 pounds. The Senator took down his opponent, South Shore Vocational Technical High School junior Noah Rodri in 5:08. He will face off against Marblehead/Swampscott senior Armani Dotson.

Frontier Regional School senior Connor Pettis won his opening round bout in the 138-pound class with Mahar freshman Henry Ndayisaba in a 9-4 decision. However, the Red Hawk bowed out in the quarterfinals to the top seed, Melrose sophomore Sean Herbert, when he was pinned 1:09 into the match.

Pettis fell into the consolation bracket where he will join several area wrestlers who lost on Day 1 but remain alive in the double-elimination tournament. Athol junior Jon Mahoney (106) and senior Dakota Gilman (195), Franklin Tech freshman Caleb Ellis (113), junior Kyle Brunelle (126) and senior Chris Ludwig (182), and Frontier frehsman Tanner Finch (113), eight grader Bailey Murry (126), senior Miguel Olvera-Aguilera (160) and senior Nathan Austin (195) are all still alive in the consolations.

Mahar’s Ndayisaba, along with sophomore Peter Tattan (182), Mohawk sophomores Tristan Keyser-Parker (106), Franklin Tech senior Jaden Sadlowski (132), junior Tim Fritz (160) and Frontier sophomore Ito McMillan (145), went winless in the tournament and were eliminated.

Please support the Greenfield Recorder's COVID-19 coverage

Thank you for your support of the Recorder.


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Greenfield Recorder, keeping Franklin County informed since 1792.

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261
Fax: (413) 772-2906


Copyright © 2019 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy