Laffey, Bean qualify for All-States

Kyle Laffey got a bit of redemption over the weekend.

The Franklin County Technical School wrestler had a disappointing second-place showing at the WMass Division III meet on Feb. 15 but came back to earn a third-place finish at the State Division III meet over the weekend at Foxborough High School.

While many of the area wrestlers were eliminated from the competition on Day 1 Friday afternoon, Laffey and two other Eagle wrestlers continued on during Day 2 of the event. Each of the three remaining wrestlers had lost once in the double-elimination tournament and were relegated to the consolation bracket, but Laffey and teammate Brett Bean each wrestled well enough to qualify for the All-State Meet, which takes place beginning Friday afternoon at Tsongas Arena in Lowell.

Laffey had the best showing of any local wrestler and began Saturday with a consolation quarterfinal against Holliston High School’s Eric Jacobson, who Laffey defeated 8-1 to move to the semifinals. He moved into the third-place match without having to wrestle because his opponent, Wayland High School’s Ryan Bache, had to pull out due to an injury. Laffey went up against Norton High School’s Myles Mcalpine in the third-place bout and managed to double him up, 6-3, to earn the win.

“He wrestled pretty well,” Franklin Tech coach Joe Gamache said. “His only loss came to (Wakefield High School’s Ben Spicer), who went on to win the state title. He felt like he got beat by a stronger opponent when he lost, and he felt like he gave it a good effort. His long-term goal is to become the first kid from Franklin Tech to wrestle at the New Englands.”

Laffey will have to place in the top six at the All-State Meet to qualify for the New Englands.

The Eagles got a second qualifier for All-States when Brett Bean wrestled his way to a sixth-place finish. Bean opened the day in the consolation quarterfinals and defeated Mt. Greylock Regional High School’s C.J. Lillie by a pin 2 minutes, 36 seconds into the match to move to the semifinals. Bean wound up getting pinned in 57 seconds by Norton’s J.T. Taylor, and went to the fifth-sixth place match, where he suffered a pin in 2:47 to South Hadley High School’s Bobby O’Connell, which placed Bean sixth.

The third Eagle wrestler remaining on Day 2 was Pat Lashway, an un-ranked wrestler at WMass who wound up placing third, then wrestled his way to the consolation quarterfinals at the State Division III Meet. Lashway’s run came to an end when he wound up getting pinned by Lynnfield-North Reading High School’s Joe Morse in 57 seconds, and then lost 2-0 in the seventh-place match to Wayland’s Tommy Cope, leaving Lashway in eighth place.

“Considering that we went into the tournament with five guys and three of them placed in the top eight, and three of the five are back next year, I’m very happy,” Gamache said. “We’ve got two more kids that can compete on the big stage next weekend. And anything can happen. We are looking forward to next weekend.”

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.