Hi 24° | Lo 6°

Letter: Ignoring evidence

In his April 24 letter, Steve Crowningshield chides Jim Culleny’s observations about socialism and capitalism as the writing of “the average liberal.”

Clearly dismissing socialism in the same way that creationists dismiss evolutionary evidence, Crowiningshield ignores the evidence of unregulated capitalism and calls for more of the kind of “capitalism and motivation (that) made America strong.”

How is it then that America ranks 38th out of 191 member states in the World Health Organization’s 2000 assessment of health systems but first in the expenditures per capita while some of those socialist countries like Denmark, the Netherlands, Sweden and others rank much higher? Critics of the WHO report say that the U.S. ranks No. 15 worldwide. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, appearing on CBS’ “Face the Nation” asserted that the U.S. “has the best health care system in the world.” On Fox News Sunday Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky, made the same claim. When Boehner’s office was asked for the studies that supported his “best in the world” claim it could not provide the “evidence.” These gentlemen were, of course, opposing Obamacare “socialist” legislation.

According to an April 23 analysis of Census Bureau data published by the Pew Research Center, the wealthiest 7 percent of households in America saw soaring gains of an estimated $5.6 trillion since the economy officially emerged from the recession in mid-2009, while the remaining 93 percent — 111 million households — saw their overall wealth fall by an estimated $0.6 trillion. “It has been a very good recovery for those at the upper end of the wealth distribution,” said Paul Taylor, executive vice president of the Pew Research Center and co-author of the report. “But there has been no recovery for the lower 93, which is nearly everybody.” Crowningshield writes like “the average conservative.”


Shelburne Falls

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.