Shutesbury home damaged in fire
A chimney fire got out of hand on Baker Road in Shutesbury Wednesday evening but was quickly extinguished by area fire departments. Recorder/Paul Franz Purchase photo reprints »
SHUTESBURY — Firefighters put a quick stop to an attic fire in a single-family home Wednesday night.
Firefighters from several departments responded to 231 Baker Road, where a chimney fire was reported at about 5:30 p.m.
“When we responded, there was a working fire in the attic, with flames showing through the soffit vents and gables,” said Fire Chief Walter Tibbetts.
The fire was brought under control within minutes. Tibbetts said firefighters doused the area from outside with water, knocking down the flames before they made entry to check out the interior of the building. Inside, they tore into ceilings and walls to check for hot spots that could rekindle the fire.
There were no injuries and damages were contained to one area of the house.
“There was damage to the attic, and one room on the second floor,” said Tibbetts. The first floor also suffered water damage. Tibbetts later estimated the damage to be around $50,000.
Tibbetts said he the owners have fire insurance. The property is listed to Michael Friedman and Martina Carroll, according to the Registry of Deeds.
Though the fire was contained to a small part of the house, a second alarm was struck, bringing several fire departments to the scene. Tibbetts said this was done to ensure adequate water supply.
Tankers and pump trucks lined the narrow road. Firefighters from Montague Center, Leverett, New Salem, Wendell, Pelham and Amherst, as well Orange’s Rapid Intervention Team, responded to the scene to assist Shutesbury firefighters.
Tibbetts said the house would need to be inspected before the owners could return. Tibbets said that the owners were staying overnight with their son, who lives in Amherst.