Greenfield on cusp of tourney berth

  • #9  not on roster kicks the 1st goal in the 1st half against Hampton Charter School as #7 Mackenzie Tenney watches

    #9 not on roster kicks the 1st goal in the 1st half against Hampton Charter School as #7 Mackenzie Tenney watches

  • Mahar #2 Amber Bonk and #6 Kalimah Mohammad

    Mahar #2 Amber Bonk and #6 Kalimah Mohammad

  • #9  not on roster kicks the 1st goal in the 1st half against Hampton Charter School as #7 Mackenzie Tenney watches
  • Mahar #2 Amber Bonk and #6 Kalimah Mohammad

The Greenfield High School boys’ soccer team is now just one point away from clinching a postseason berth.

The Green Wave took a huge step toward making their playoff dreams a reality on Friday afternoon with a 2-1 victroy over Mohawk Trail Regional High School in a McGrath North Division game in Buckland.

With Pioneer Valley Regional School having already sewn up the top spot in the North, three teams are currently fighting for second place in the division and the automatic berth they receive that goes along with it. Greenfield, Mohawk and Mahar Regional School are each in the running, and with each team guaranteed to finish below .500 on the season, it’s the only way any of the three are going to qualify.

Greenfield (4-8-3 overall, 3-1-2 North) is in the best position as the season winds down with eight points in the North. Mahar is now three points back and both teams have two league games remaining, including Monday night’s game against each other at 7 at Veterans Memorial Field in Greenfield. A win by Greenfield in that game will clinch second place outright for the Green Wave and would eliminate both Mahar and Mohawk. A tie on Monday, would ensure the Wave of at least tying for second place, and would clinch a postseason berth for Greenfield.

In the event of a tie on Monday, Mahar would have to win its North finale against Pioneer Valley Regional School, and would also need Greenfield to lose its North finale to Turners Falls. Mohawk’s playoff hopes rely on Mahar beating Greenfield on Monday and then having both teams lose their finales next Thursday. The Warriors would also have to win-out, with games against Pioneer and Turners Falls remaining.

If that all seems a bit confusing, that’s because it is.

Mohawk (2-13-0, 2-4-0) gave Greenfield everything it could handle, outshooting the Green Wave 12-5, but Greenfield goalie Tyler Jacques stood tall in net, turning aside 11 shots. Meanwhile, Greenfield would give its goalie a lead to work with late in the first half with two quick goals.

Vova Cobileanschi scored his third goal of the season in the 35th minute on an assist from Ben Darmanchev to put Greenfield up 1-0 and two minutes later Vlad Popusoi scored his 11th of the season to give the Green Wave a 2-0 lead. The goal ties Popusoi for the goal-scoring lead in the Recorder area on the season along with Brad Bousquet. Popusoi’s 13 points leave him four points back of Bousquet, but both players have 11 goals.

Mohawk got on the board in the 77th minute when Chris Gokey netted his second goal of the season on a feed from Sam Slowinski. Josh Taylor finished with three saves in the Mohawk goal.

“The kids knew how big this game was,” Mohawk coach Tony Agrillo said. “They came out and really put in a great effort and generated a lot of great scoring opportunities. Sometimes it just doesn’t go your way. Greenfield finished their chances and we didn’t. But I’m proud of the kids. We played one of our best games of the year.”

Four Rivers 1, PVPA 0 — Finn McMillan scored with 15 minutes left in the game on Friday as Four Rivers Charter School edged Pioneer Valley Performing Arts, 1-0, in a River Valley Athletic League boys’ soccer game in Greenfield.

Jackson Reeves-Henning made 12 saves in a strong effort in net for the Otters.

Four Rivers (8-2-1) hosts Academy at Charlemont Tuesday at 3:45.

Girls’ soccer

FC Tech 4, Commerce 0 — Franklin County Technical School kept its playoff hopes alive with a 4-0 Tri-County League girls’ soccer victory over High School of Commerce Friday afternoon in Springfield.

The Eagles (6-8-1) need five points in their remaining three games in order to qualify for the upcoming WMass Division III tournament. The team goes back to work on Monday when it plays host to McCann Technical High School at 3:30.

Brittany Andrews staked the Eagles to a 1-0 lead in the first half with her first goal of the season off an assist from Mackenzie Coburn.

The visitors blew the game open in the second half with three goals. Coburn scored her seventh goal of the year seven minutes after the break with an assist from Skyler Clark-Williams. Alyssa Andrews then tallied her seventh goal of the season to tie Coburn for the team lead in that category. Clark Williams finished off the scoring later in the second half with a feed from Missy Vatalaro. Coburn leads the team in points with seven goals and five assists, while Clark-Williams now has six goals and two assists to place second on the team in scoring.

Shauntel Ortiz stopped all five shots she faced to record her second shutout and third win in four games played this season.

Mahar 4, Hampden Charter 0 — Carly Mongeau scored one goal and added one assist as Mahar Regional School knocked off Hampden Charter School, 4-0, in an independent girls’ soccer game Friday in Orange.

The Senators (11-3-1) led 3-0 at the break and allowed coach Chad Softic to play his junior varsity players in the second half.

Mongeau opened the scoring in the first half with her third of the season off of Kiana Whimore’s assist. Kiana Reilly notched her second of the year on an assist from Amber Bonk, and Cassie Verheyen chipped in her sixth of the year on an assist from Mongeau. Verheyen is now second on the team in scoring with 10 points.

In the second half, Yunjung Seo scored her first career goal on Hannah Paul’s assist, which was her first-career varsity point. Sydney Whitcomb and Elysha Bedard combined on the shutout with three saves.

Makayla Thompson made 30 saves in the loss.

Granby 2, Athol 0 — Granby High School used a pair of second-half goals to get past Athol High School, 2-0, in an independent girls’ soccer game Friday in Granby.

The loss now means that the Red Raiders (6-7-2) need four points in their final three games in order to qualify for the postseason. Athol takes on Gateway Regional High School Tuesday in Huntington. The Red Raiders also have games left against Easthampton High School and Mahar.

The Red Raiders put up a tough battle against the Rams (11-3-1) holding the game scoreless until the mid-point of the second half when Kiley Baran broke the scoreless tie when she connected on a direct kick from 20 yards out. Meghan Sullivan gave the hosts an insurance goal later in the second half.

Brittany Hauschild made eight saves for the shutout, while Athol’s Stephanie Putnam stopped 10 shots.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.