Clouds and sun
Clouds and sun
Hi 14° | Lo -10°

Montague golf tournament to benefit veterans

MONTAGUE — Three local men on the Thomas Memorial Golf & Country Club board have organized a tournament for July 19 that will help provide flags for the graves of every veteran buried in the town’s 14 cemeteries.

Chester Czernich, James Koldis and Burt White said the proceeds from the tournament will be used to buy the flags and a wreath for each of the cemeteries.

“Veterans deserve our support,” said Czernich, who served in the Navy. “We really wanted to do something for our local vets.”

The men are working with Town of Montague Veterans Agent Mark Fitzpatrick.

“The veterans administration pays 75 percent of what it costs the town to buy a flag, so we’re going to pay the other 25 percent,” said White.

Koldis said there are 1,500 veterans buried in town cemeteries and it is estimated it will cost about $1,000 for 1,500 flags and 14 wreaths.

The tournament will be a four-person scramble with a shotgun start at 9 a.m., which means there will be at least one team starting at the same time on each of the nine holes. A scramble is when the best shot of four is used every time teammates hit.

“All of the money will go to local vets,” said Czernich.

The cost is $65 per golfer and that includes a cart.

Hot dogs will be served on the course and there will be a raffle at the end of the day.

The two top teams will receive cash prizes.

The rain date is July 20.

Czernich said individuals and companies may make donations and a sign will be placed somewhere along the course or in the clubhouse.

The men said flags will be placed on graves next spring.

For more information or to sign up, call 413-863-8003 or 413-659-3061.

Donations or tournament fees may be mailed to: TMGCC, Box 16, Turners Falls, MA 01376.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.