M/cloudy
54°
M/cloudy
Hi 56° | Lo 33°

Dryer fire spreads to wall

SOUTH DEERFIELD — A clothes dryer fire in the basement ignited the wall behind it, forcing a family of six out of their home at 23 Lee Road Monday morning.

“There was a working fire in the basement, with heavy smoke conditions,” said Fire Chief William Swasey. He said they called 911 before evacuating their two-story Cape Cod-style home, around 9 a.m.

Providing mutual aid were fire departments from Greenfield, Sunderland and Whately. The Deerfield Fire Department covered calls for the South Deerfield station and Bernardston provided a Rapid Intervention Team to provide standby protection for the those fighting the fire.

Swasey said the cause of the fire was a dryer vent duct clogged with lint. He said the family could not immediately reoccupy their house, because of damage to the electrical wires. Power had to be cut to the house, he said. When reached away from the station, Swasey said he did not have the residents’ names. The home is owned by Philip and Nancy Hayes, according to Deerfield assessors.

Swasey said the occupants have family living nearby. Also, the Red Cross was called.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.