Bulletin Board: UConn over UMass on ice, 2-1
Billy Latta scored on the power play with 5:04 left in regulation and Robby Nichols made 37 saves Monday to give Connecticut a 2-1 victory over UMass in the consolation game of the UConn Hockey Classic at the XL Center in Hartford.
After a scoreless first two periods, the Huskies (7-6-2) took a 1-0 lead on Ryan Tyson’s goal only 26 seconds into the third. Steven Guzzo equalized for UMass at 9:12 with his first goal of the season, putting in a rebound of an initial shot by Emerson Auvenshine.
The Minutemen’s Branden Gracel went off for hooking at 13:55, setting up the Huskies’ decisive power play and Latta’s winning goal just over a minute later.
UMass held a 38-27 advantage in shots. Steve Mastalerz made 25 saves in the Minuteman net.
The Minutemen (6-13-3) return to Hockey East play Saturday at 7 p.m. against Northeastern at Matthews Arena in Boston.
IAS Men’s league
KJ Walsh threw five touchdowns to pace the Hu Ke Lau to a 41-26 win over the Chiefs during a IAS Men’s League flag football game over the weekend at Indoor Action in Greenfield.
Justin Gillette and Bramin Cooper each caught two touchdowns in the win. Aaron Flythe paced the Chiefs with two touchdown passes and a pair of touchdown runs.
• Elsewhere, Ralphie Rivera rushed for three scores as the Dope Boyz remained unbeaten with a 33-25 win over Buc Nation.
DJ Whitley caught two touchdown passes for Buc Nation.
• In other action, the Giants held off a late drive from the Chargers to hold on for a 13-10 win.
The Chargers earned a pair of safeties in the loss.
• Meanwhile, Corey Meckling ran for one touchdown and threw for five more as Max Cap Titans throttled Berkshire Hitmen, 51-0.
Barry Headlee caught three scores in the win.
• Finally, Pat Viencek’s five touchdown passes paced Cruise & Travel to a 41-0 win over Travel Kuz.
Evan Jobst caught a pair of touchdowns in the win.
DRIVE Men’s league
Troy Snell finished with 28 points and Ben Barshefsky added 25 to lead Team DRIVE to a 87-59 win over Bruso Computer Solutions in a DRIVE Hoops Men’s League game over the weekend at Stoneleigh-Burnham School in Greenfield.
Matt Gibson led all scorers with 29 points in the loss.
• In other action, Luke Martin’s 23 points helped Hilltown Tents/Shelburne Farm & Garden to a 76-71 win over Dunkin’ Donuts.
Pat Colvin netted 26 points for the Donut Makers.
• Finally, Cody Snow scored 18 points as Taylor’s Tavern/Snow & Son’s Landscaping outlasted Noho, 72-60.
Jared Newman scored 27 points for Noho.