Warwick man accused of choking woman

Staff Writer
Published: 2/19/2020 10:01:58 PM

ORANGE — A Warwick man is being held without bail following accusations that he strangled a woman.

Brandon C. Davis, 36, of Winchester Road, was arraigned in Orange District Court on Tuesday. He pleaded not guilty to strangulation or suffocation, breaking and entering into a building in the daytime with the intent to commit a felony, and assault and battery.

According to a report from Warwick Police Sgt. John Stewart, he received messages from a female acquaintance from high school at approximately 6:55 p.m. on Feb. 16 asking him if he still worked for the police department. She stated she was in Warwick and Davis had just grabbed her by the throat and hit her, stole her Suboxone (used to treat opioid addiction), and she was vomiting blood.

Stewart reported he repeatedly told the woman to call 911 for help while he was en route to the apartment. She told Stewart she tried to call 911 but had no service.

Stewart reported he called dispatch to relay the messages of assault and to request dispatchers contact Chief David Shoemaker for backup. While en route, dispatch advised Stewart that a 911 call came in and a man said “Help” before the call was lost.

When he arrived on scene, Stewart reported small scratches and a small cut in the palm of the woman’s hand, and that she was having trouble breathing. He requested an ambulance for the woman, who reiterated she vomited blood after Davis choked her.

Stewart asked the woman if Davis had any weapons and she said he has brass knuckles, several knives and “talks about guns quite often,” according to Stewart’s report. Stewart advised Shoemaker and Orange Police Sgt. Jonathan Cole of this information when they arrived.

Cole watched the building’s rear perimeter while Stewart and Shoemaker went to request that Davis come to his apartment door. When several requests went unanswered, forced entry was made into the apartment due to the report of possible weapons.

Davis was reportedly found face down on the floor and was handcuffed without issue. Davis said the alleged victim came into his apartment while he was sleeping and slapped him in the face. Stewart reported seeing “tiny red dot marks near his eye.” Davis reportedly told Stewart he got in the victim’s face, but never touched her.

A witness corroborated the victim’s story, telling Stewart she saw Davis hitting her “in the face area and strangling her.” The witness said she told Davis to let go of the victim and leave. She provided a written statement to police.

The alleged victim visited the Warwick Police Department the following day and said she probably would have been killed if the witness had not been present.

Davis is scheduled to appear in court for a detention hearing Feb. 28.

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261
Fax: (413) 772-2906


Copyright © 2019 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy