Alleged trooper stabber to be arraigned Wednesday

  • State Police direct traffic on Route 202 near Fay Road, where a police officer and suspect were both injured after a high-speed chase on .

  • Law enforcement officers blocked traffic on Route 202 at Fay Road in New Salem, in the area where a state trooper was stabbed and a suspect shot following a car chase.

  • State Police direct traffic on Route 202 near Fay Road, where a police officer and suspect were both injured this afternoon after a high-speed chase.

Staff Writer
Published: 12/17/2018 4:49:55 PM

GREENFIELD – The New Hampshire man accused of stabbing a state trooper in New Salem following a high-speed chase in October is scheduled for arraignment in Franklin Superior Court on Wednesday.

Nghia V. Le, 18, of Manchester, N.H., was indicted Friday by a Franklin County grand jury and will appear in court at 2 p.m. to answer to charges of armed assault with intent to murder, armed assault with intent to rob, mayhem, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, armed carjacking, assault and battery upon a public employee, assault with a dangerous weapon, and reckless operation. Le has remained held without bail since his arrest on Oct. 19. He is being represented by attorney Steve Rappaport, from Lowell.

Northwestern District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Mary Carey said Monday she was unaware of the condition of 47-year-old Trooper Mark Whitcomb, who was attached. He is 12-year police veteran.

Police say Le was involved in a motor vehicle crash in Walpole, N.H., and stole a Toyota Camry belonging to the other driver, a 72-year-old woman. Le allegedly fled to Vermont, and then south down Interstate 91 to Massachusetts. The vehicle Le was driving was pursued by state and local police and came to a stop after crashing into an object near the intersection of Route 202 and Fay Road in New Salem. Whitcomb parked his car strategically “nose to nose” with the vehicle Le was driving, according to police.

Le then allegedly exited the vehicle, approached Whitcomb’s police cruiser, opened the door and began stabbing him, lashing out with “seven or eight swings of the knife.”

First Assistant District Attorney Steven Gagne said it’s believed Le would have continued to flee, and that he attempted to steal Whitcomb’s cruiser after Whitcomb was able to exit the vehicle and escape the attack. Le was unable to put the car into gear, Gagne said, and Erving Police Officer James Loynd fired into the vehicle. Le then exited the vehicle, disobeying Loynd’s orders to show his hands, and moved toward Loynd, who fired another four shots at Le, hitting him in the torso. Carey said Le was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, from which he was released on Oct. 26.

Crime scene chemists and ballistics analysts visited the scene for the investigation, according to Gagne.

Reach Domenic Poli at: or 413-772-0261, ext. 262.


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Greenfield Recorder, keeping Franklin County informed since 1792.

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261
Fax: (413) 772-2906


Copyright © 2019 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy