Indians fall to Orioles, 5-0; Eagles move to Voke final

  • Turners Falls goalie Brandon Bryant (31) makes a first-period save during the Indians season finale against Belchertown Friday night at the Mullins Center practice rink in Amherst.. For the Recorder/J. Anthony Roberts

Saturday, February 27, 2016
Recorder Staff

Brandon Bryant finished off his stellar four-year career with a 45-save performance but Turners Falls High School closed out the season with a 5-0 loss to Belchertown High School in Fay-Wright Division hockey action Friday at the Mullins Center Practice Rink in Amherst.

The senior goaltender closed out his stellar career with 475 saves this season, including back-to-back 45-plus save efforts. Turners Falls first-year coach Darren Lenois lamented the fact that the Indians could not provide their goalie with more offense during the season, but was proud of the netminder’s success.

“He had a great season,” Lenois began. “He definitely gave us the ability to be in any game he played for us.”

Kyle Mikulski had a hat trick for the Orioles, while Cam Cass scored a pair of goals.

The Indians finished the season 1-17-2.

“We played well in spurts this year,” Lenois concluded. “As the season wore on, they started to play better and better. We had some close games, and we had some that weren’t so close, but the kids skated well and played hard every night.”

Boys’ basketball

FC Tech 48, Upper Cape Tech 47 — CJ Daignault and Alex McBurnie are not usually the headliners for the Franklin County Technical School boys’ basketball team but they certainly stole the show on Friday night.
McBurnie came up with a key steal late and Daignault’s only basket of the night came with eight seconds left and proved to be the difference as the Eagles punched their ticket to the championship game of the State Small Schools Vocational Tournament with a 48-47 win over Upper Cape Cod Regional Vocational Technical High School in Turners Falls.

The second-seeded Eagles will travel to top-seeded Nashoba Valley Technical High School for the championship game today at 4.

The Eagles (17-4) led the entire second half but a layup by Joseph Fisher with 1 minute left gave third-seeded Upper Cape Tech a 47-46 lead. Franklin Tech’s ensuing possession came up empty, and Upper Cape Tech was able to secure the rebound and called a timeout with 16 seconds to go. At that point Franklin Tech coach Matt Llewelyn told his guys to try and steal the inbounds pass, and if that failed, they had to immediately foul.

McBurnie did just what the coach was hoping he would do, stealing the inbounds pass and then calling a timeout with 13 seconds left so the Eagles could draw up a play. Llewelyn called on Colin Gould to take the shot, as Gould already had 29 points on the night and, along with Zach Korpiewski, leads the team in scoring.

Upper Cape Tech also figured Gould would be getting the inbounds pass, and threw a double-team on him, so the ball was thrown in to Daignault, who had not scored a point in the game, and was unguarded 10 feet away from the hoop. The four-year varsity player calmly knocked down the shot to put the Eagles ahead, and a last-second 3-pointer by Upper Cape Tech’s Jason Comoletti back-rimmed out, sending the Eagles to the finals.

Afterwards, Llewelyn talked about his two unsung heroes.
“They just had to do their jobs tonight,” he explained. “We set up our play and Gould was covered, but you take a senior like Daignault who has played four years of varsity and he gets the ball and I would never not want him to take that shot. I’m really proud of everyone tonight.”

Gould finished with 29 points in the win, and Korpiewski added 11.

Comoletti finished with 11 points in the loss, and Fisher scored 8, all of which came in the fourth quarter as Upper Cape Tech tried to come back from a 38-32 deficit entering the frame.


Locals eliminated
The two Franklin County Technical School wrestlers who qualified for the MIAA All-State Wrestling Tournament were both eliminated during Day 1 of the two-day tournament Friday evening at Reading Memorial High School.

Nate Crocker lost to Stoughton High School’s Devlin Carroll in the first round at 145 pounds. The match was fairly even with Carroll holding a slight lead in the second when he got Crocker on his back and pinned him with 53 seconds left in the period.

Crocker went to the consolation bracket and was eliminated in his first match there as he was pinned by Southwick-Tolland Regional High School’s Miguel Gonzalez with 34 seconds left in the second period.
Kane Rich opened up the 285-pound tournament against Algonquin High School’s Joe Vencile and Vencile led 11-0 in the third period when he finally stuck Rich with 1:20 to go. Rich went to the consolation bracket and earned a pin over Tri-County Regional High School’s Joe Townsend in the first period but Rich was then eliminated in his next match by Xaverian Brothers High School’s Alfonso Depalma, who scored a 3-0 victory by decision.