Resident uses mop water to extinguish porch fire in Greenfield

  • A Greenfield firefighter leaves the scene of 107 Conway St. at noon on Thursday. A resident used a bucket of mop water to extinguish a small porch fire caused by a cigarette. The damage is visible next to the staircase. There were no injuries. STAFF PHOTO/DOMENIC POLI

Staff Writer
Published: 1/20/2022 2:16:56 PM
Modified: 1/20/2022 2:15:51 PM

GREENFIELD — A resident of the sober house at 107 Conway St. used a bucket of mop water to extinguish a porch fire caused by a lit cigarette shortly before noon on Thursday.

House manager Derek Duguay explained the cigarette accidentally fell over the porch railing on a dry plant, which ignited, and the fire spread to the porch lattice. A resident then poured a bucket of water onto the fire.

“A lot of people wouldn’t think of that,” Duguay said.

He said 911 was called once the fire was reduced to a smolder. Firefighters cut away a couple of boards to ensure the fire was eliminated.

“We had it out before (the Greenfield Fire Department) even got here, because it only took one bucket of water. But we called them anyway,” Duguay noted.

Fire Chief Robert Strahan reported the fire was minor. The Greenfield Fire and Police departments cleared the scene at noon.

“They did a good job, we did a good job,” Duguay said. “Everybody did the right thing.”

More information about the sober house, which is run by Vanderburgh House, can be found at bit.ly/3tKRavG.

Reach Domenic Poli at: dpoli@recorder.com or 413-772-0261, ext. 262.


Jobs



Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Greenfield Recorder, keeping Franklin County informed since 1792.


Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261
 

 

Copyright © 2021 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy