User Guide

We want to make it easy for you to get the most out of The Recorder and to let you know who to call or write when you have a question. The information in this section should help to provide our readers and prospective subscribers and advertisers with answers to some frequently asked questions. We hope this information will make it easier for you to contact The Recorder and help us to better serve our community. If you don’t find the answer to your question, please visit our Contacting The Recorder page. Please feel free to call or send us an e-mail, and someone will respond promptly.

How can I submit an ad or ad copy in digital format?
The Recorder can accept ads in digital format. There are hundreds of possibilities and we have separate page dedicated to helping you determine the most suitable method for your copy. Please visit our “Digital Advertising Copy Submission Guidelines” page for more details.

How do I place a classified ad?
Call The Recorder classified department at (413) 772-0148 or stop by our office at 14 Hope Street, Greenfield and tell the representative that you would like to place an ad. They will take it from there. You may also mail your ad in to Classifieds, Box 1367, Greenfield, MA 01302 or fax it to (413) 774-5511. It’s a good idea to follow these up with a phone call. Some ads will require prepayment. Your representative can advise you.

How can I get an advertising representative to call on my business?
Just give us a call at (413) 772-0261 or (978) 544-2118 and ask to speak to an advertising representative. If none is available, ask for the Advertising Director and he will answer your questions and assign a representative to your business. The Recorder offers complete advertising design and consulting services. You concentrate on your business and we’ll concentrate on your advertising needs.

How do I place a Birthday or Anniversary ad?
These ads require prepayment. The best way to place one is to stop by our office. If you choose to phone, mail or fax it to us, we’ll determine the cost and call you. The ad will be published as soon as payment is made.

Reader's Customer Service
Who do I call regarding delivery or subscription payment questions? You can reach our Reader's Customer Service representatives at (413) 774-2741. They are available Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday 7 a.m. to 10 a.m, or email Our service specialists can help resolve delivery problems and respond to your subscription requests. Please allow two days notice for vacation stops and restarts.

How can I buy a back issue of The Recorder?
We keep a limited supply of back issues for one year. They are available at the reception desk in our main lobby for the cost of $1.25 for daily issues and $1.50 for Saturday issues. They can also be mailed to you with advance payment of $3.00 each.

Where can I buy a copy of The Recorder?
Check our list of dealer outlets in the Franklin County area, conveniently listed by town.

Can I have a customer service person contact me?
Please email us at and we'll get back to you within the next business day.

Arts & Entertainment
Listings in the Arts and Entertainment Calendar are free. Information and photos can be either dropped off at The Recorder, faxed, mailed, or e-mailed. The calendar is published weekly on Thursdays. The deadline is the previous week: on Thursday, by 8 a.m.

The following information helps readers decide if they want to attend an event: date, time, location, price, a brief description, and a phone number to call with questions. Events must be open to the public to be listed. Photographs are always welcome and will be published when space allows. Make sure to identify both the event and who or what is pictured. As a general rule, the minimum resolution for photographs sent by e-mail is 150 pixels per inch at the published size. However, 200 pixels per inch or higher is preferred. Most calendar pictures run no larger than 4- to 6-inches wide. Photos can be sent as attachments to an e-mail: tif and jpg are preferred. No gif images, please. Often, Web images are only 72 pixels per inch. These look great on a computer screen but typically would look horrible in newsprint.
Here’s how to get information and photographs to the Recorder:

  • 1. E-mail:
  • 2. Mail: Arts and Entertainment Calendar, The Recorder, P.O. Box 1367, Greenfield, MA 01302-1367.
  • 3. Fax: 774-5020.
  • 4. Drop it off: The Recorder is at 14 Hope St. Walk in the front door and speak to the receptionist.

Still confused? Call the Recorder’s Feature Editor, Andy Castillo, at (413) 772-0261 Ext. 276 or e-mail him at

News and Editorial
How can I obtain a copy of a recent article that appeared in The Recorder? Our paid web site offers the entire text of selected significant stories up to a week old. Or, you can click on the Archive tile on this site and search for the article.

An alternative for you to research the contents of past issues (archive search, an obituary, police and court logs, etc.) is to go to the Greenfield Public Library and view the microfilm or hard copies that we provide for that purpose. Please follow this link for more information about the library:

If you wish to purchase a recent copy of The Recorder please call our circulation department at (413)774-2741 and they will arrange to have the issue(s) mailed to you if they are still available.

How can I get a press release published in The Recorder?
Send it to News Item, The Recorder, Box 1367, Greenfield, MA 01302 or e-mail it to: Make sure you include the basic information: what, where, when, and include the name of a contact person and phone number. For more information or questions, call Editor George Forcier at (413) 772-0261 Ext. 270.

My picture ran in the paper and I want to obtain a copy.
You can order reprints of photos that have run in The Recorder directly on from the article where the photo appears.  Just click the 'Buy This Photo' link underneath the photo, and you'll be able to buy a print from our printing partner, Fotomoto.  

Should I write a letter to the Editor?
By all means. The Letters are one of the best read parts of the newspaper, and The Recorder’s editorial page is a county-wide forum for the exchange of ideas. Keep it under 300 words — longer letters tend to lose readers. Send it to: Letters to the Editor, The Recorder, Box 1367, Greenfield, MA 01302, or e-mail it Sign your letter and include your address and a telephone number. For more information or questions, call (413) 772-0261.

How about a score or notice of a sporting event?
Scores should be phoned in or submitted on a special form, which can be obtained from the sports department. Coaches and managers should make arrangements before their season begins, by calling Sports and setting up a reporting system. The department can be reached at (413) 772-0261 ext. 260 after 5 p.m. or by e-mail at

Who do I call with a news tip or idea for an interesting story or photo?
Anyone in the newsroom would be glad to listen to your ideas. You can reach the newsroom at (413) 772-0261 ext. 270, use the fax at (413) 774-5020 or drop by 14 Hope Street, Greenfield. We also encourage you to email your community news items to us

How do I get a wedding, engagement or anniversary announcement printed in the Milestones section?
Get forms to download or stop by the Recorder news department at 14 Hope Street, Greenfield and pick up a copy of a wedding, engagement or anniversary form. Fill it out and return it, and it will be printed. Try to make sure there’s no delay in returning a wedding form after the ceremony, since such news loses value with time.

Milestones policy

The Recorder charges a nominal fee for all engagement, wedding, and anniversary announcements. The current free birth announcements will not change. Paid announcements may include any information, photographs or artwork desired. There will be no time restrictions for publication. The fees will be as follows (click on the name of the announcement to access a form):

  • Engagements: $35 up to 8 column inches of space.
  • Weddings: $50 up to 12 column inches of space.
  • Anniversaries: $40 up to 10 column inches of space. 50th anniversaries and over are free of charge.
  • Birth announcements: No charge.
  • Additional column inches are $10/inch (approx. 35 words per inch).

All announcements will run in the Life & Times section of the Saturday edition. Forms for these announcements will be available at The Recorder offices at 14 Hope Street, Greenfield, or for download above, or by request from The Recorder. For assistance, e-mail: Notices will appear within 2 weeks of submitted date. Announcements are payable in advance by cash, check or credit card (Visa, MC, Disc. or AmEx). The Recorder accepts clear black & white or color photographs, or they may be submitted via e-mail by sending to E-mail photos must be 300 dpi, 5”x8”, and in JPG format (Apple users: please make certain that your files include a file extension). Your write-up should include a daytime telephone number. Photos submitted with the appropriate form should include names on the back. Announcements that are mailed, faxed or submitted electronically must be followed up with a telephone call to 413-772-0148 for confirmation of receipt and payment.

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261
Fax: (413) 772-2906


Copyright © 2021 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy