Gariepy’s two TDs lift Senators to second win

For the Recorder
Published: 11/2/2018 11:05:26 PM

BUCKLAND — Mahar Regional School scored two second-half touchdowns, both on runs by Jon Gariepy, as the visiting Senators came from behind to earn a 16-8 win over Mohawk Trail Regional High School in an assigned football game Friday night at a soggy Pollard Field.

Gariepy finished with 87 yards on 23 carries, including touchdown scampers of 5 and 15 yards, to help rally the Senators from an 8-0 halftime deficit.

Trailing 8-0 with 9 minutes remaining in the third quarter, the Senators embarked on a 16-play drive that covered 90 yards. It featured Gariepy picking up a crucial fourth down, and he followed the conversion with his first score from 5 yards out to get his team on the board. Mahar (2-7) converted the 2-point conversion on a quarterback sneak by Noaha Chabot to tie the score at 8-8.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Senators lined a screaming ball off a Mohawk lineman up front, and a scrum for possession broke loose with Mahar picking up the free ball to take over right back on the Mohawk 48-yard line. The Senators drive appeared to stall after a false start penalty but Chabot hit Lucas Seney in the flat on a fourth-and-10 play for 24 yards to give Mahar a new set of downs.

After a second false start penalty, Seney rumbled up the middle for five yards and on the next play Gariepy scored from 15 yards out putting Mahar ahead, 14-8. Gariepy then took the conversion try around the left side of the line to give the Senators a 16-8 lead.

From there, the Warriors took over with 5:33 remaining in the game, but neither team could get much going as rain poured down on an already saturated field making footing and handling the ball tough for both sides.

After both teams fumbled away possessions of the ball, Mohawk took over again with 4:19 left in the fourth quarter but Seney intercepted a floating pass from Mohawk quarterback Shawn Davenport giving the Senators the ball at the Mohawk 45. Mahar picked up three first downs, the final one coming on a 3-yard sneak by Chabot to seal the victory.

Mohawk (1-7) played well to open the game, allowing only two first downs in the opening half. The hosts tallied the lone score of the frame on a 12-play drive midway through the second quarter. On the drive, the Warriors faced a third-and-20 from the Mahar 30. The Mohawk coaching staff quickly called a strategic timeout to set up a slip screen on a pass from Davenport to Evan Shippee that went for 15 yards, setting up a manageable fourth down.

Shippee then converted the fourth down attempt, and followed it up three plays later with a 3-yard score. He then ran in the 2-point attempt for the 8-0 lead.

Both teams will return to action next week with the schedule to be determined Sunday.

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261
Fax: (413) 772-2906


Copyright © 2019 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy