Orange teen critical after Christmas Eve hunting accident

  • Toasting to a new life, left to right Kyle Carr, Hunter Richardson, Dawsen Softic and Caleb Nutter - Truehart

  • A GoFundMe page has been set up to assist Hunter Richardson’s recovery. The 19-year-old Orange resident is in critical condition following a hunting accident on Christmas Eve. His account can be found at: Courtesy Hunter Richardson’s GoFundMe page

  • A GoFundMe page has been set up to assist Hunter Richardson’s recovery. Courtesy Hunter Richardson's GoFundMe page

Recorder Staff
Published: 12/27/2016 10:42:09 PM

ORANGE — An Orange man remains in critical condition at UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester following a hunting accident on Christmas Eve.

Hunter Richardson, 19, accidentally shot himself in the torso and landed on the ground near a brook while attempting to cross the waterway in Orange’s woods off Tully Road around 8 a.m., according to cousin Patrick Duvall, who said he was with Richardson when the incident occurred.

There is GoFundMe page set up to assist Richardson with his recovery. It can be found at:

Duvall said Tuesday his cousin was in the intensive care unit and doctors were trying to stabilize him. Richardson was transported to Worcester via UMass Memorial LifeFlight.

Duvall, 17, said he was in town from southern Nevada and Richardson is on break from Keene State College, where he is a freshman. Duvall said the two decided to go deer hunting with Richardson’s father and brother. He said as soon as Richardson was injured he radioed the victim’s father, who was about a quarter-mile away, via walkie-talkie and then called 911.

Duvall said police, fire and medical personnel arrived quickly and acted professionally.

Maj. William Bilotta of the Massachusetts State Environmental Police said Richardson suffered a wound to the left side of his chest. He explained the muzzle of the .50-caliber black powder rifle Richardson was carrying was incorrectly faced toward the victim, instead of away from him. He said Richardson’s father is a former military medic and administered his son’s first emergency care. Bilotta said Richardson’s life was saved by this care and the efforts of emergency medical technicians who arrived on scene.

Bilotta said two Environmental Police sergeants and two officers were patrolling near the accident site because hunting accidents are common around the holidays. He said one of the officers, after arriving on scene, waited at a nearby roadway to escort medical personnel to Richardson.

Duvall said Richardson grew up hunting. He said his cousin typically uses a black powder rifle.

Orange Fire Rescue EMS posted about the incident on its Facebook page that day. Lee Anna Delgado-Richardson, who identified herself as the victim’s mother, later that night thanked the EMS workers for their help and gave an update on her son. She said Richardson’s sixth rib is broken and his left lung had collapsed. She also said her son’s shoulder blade is broken and destroyed at the bottom. Surgery was not required at that time.

Duvall said Richardson’s parents have barely left the hospital since he was taken to Worcester.

In its Facebook post, Orange Fire Rescue EMS thanked Shelburne Control Dispatch, the Orange Police Department, the Athol Fire Department, the Athol Police Department, the Royalston Fire Department, and LifeFlight. It also thanked Curtis Noel, of Noel’s Nursery, for use of his utility task vehicle and resident Earle Shephardson, who provided warm socks and clothes to responders who had to cross the brook.

Richardson is a graduate of Ralph C. Mahar Regional School.

You can reach Domenic Poli at:
or 413-772-0261, ext. 258.
On Twitter: @DomenicPoli


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Greenfield Recorder, keeping Franklin County informed since 1792.

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261


Copyright © 2021 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy