State & Region Briefs

  • This photo released Thursday, June 7, 2018, by the New England Aquarium shows a rare orange lobster at the aquarium in Boston. Workers at a Westborough, Mass., supermarket found the lobster in a shipment of crustaceans from Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia and donated it to the aquarium. (Emily Bauernfeind/New England Aquarium via AP) Emily Bauernfeind

Thursday, June 07, 2018
Grocery store workers find rare orange lobster

WESTBOROUGH — Workers at a supermarket have found a rare orange lobster.

Roche Bros. Supermarkets said in a Facebook post on May 29 workers at their Westborough store found the lobster in a shipment of crustaceans from Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia.

It has since donated the lobster to the New England Aquarium in Boston.

The Lobster Institute at the University of Maine says the likelihood of a lobster being orange is about 1 in 30 million.

The New England Aquarium says the lobster is about 7 to 9 years old. It says the crustacean is lucky to be alive because its color was “flashing a neon sign” to predators.

The lobster will either stay in Boston or go to another aquarium in Japan.

The Rifleman says he witnessed killing of nightclub owner

BOSTON — An 83-year-old former gangster who’s testifying against a one-time New England Mafia boss says he walked in on the killing of a nightclub owner more than two decades ago.

The Boston Globe reports Stephen “The Rifleman” Flemmi said Thursday he was looking for Francis “Cadillac Frank” Salemme when he walked into a home in Sharon, Massachusetts, in 1993.

Flemmi says he saw Salemme’s son strangling Steven DiSarro while Salemme’s co-defendant, Paul Weadick, held DiSarro’s legs. Flemmi says Salemme was there witnessing the killing.

Flemmi is the government’s star witness in the case against Salemme and Weadick. Flemmi and Salemme used to be close friends and partners in crime.

Salemme’s son died in 1995. Salemme and Weadick deny killing DiSarro.

His body was found in 2016 in Providence, R.I.

Boston-area casino on track to open next June

BOSTON — Wynn Resorts officials say the Las Vegas company’s Boston-area casino remains on track to open next June.

The construction director for the $2.5 billion project told the Massachusetts Gaming Commission on Thursday that the Everett waterfront hotel, casino and entertainment complex is about 60 percent complete and roughly $1 billion has been spent.

The casino’s president added that roadwork funded by the company will also ramp up this summer in Boston and surrounding areas to improve traffic around the project, which is one of the largest in state history.

The company in April renamed the casino from Wynn Boston Harbor to Encore Boston Harbor following allegations of sexual misconduct against company founder Steve Wynn. Wynn denies the allegations but resigned as CEO and sold his company shares.

Man sentenced for accidental shooting

SPRINGFIELD — A man who accidentally killed his girlfriend’s sister has been sent to prison for up to seven years.

Roberto Santiago was sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter and weapons charges in the April 2017 shooting death of 18-year-old Delilah Santiago. They were not related.

A defense attorney says Roberto Santiago had dated the victim’s sister, Sharleen Santiago, since high school.

Prosecutors say the defendant was showing the victim his gun in his West Springfield apartment when he pointed it at her and pulled the trigger. He had taken off the magazine, but forgot there was a bullet in the chamber.

Roberto Santiago was arrested the night of the shooting at a Connecticut airport with a ticket to Puerto Rico.

Police look for men accused of throwing hatchet at teen

NORTH BROOKFIELD — Police are searching for two suspects a woman says yelled racial slurs and threw a hatchet at her son walking home from school.

Tanya Collins said her 14-year-old son had just gotten off the bus when two masked men in a passing vehicle yelled and threw the hatchet at his head, forcing the eighth-grader to duck out of the way. The boy, who is black, was not hurt and ran home.

North Brookfield Police Chief Mark Smith tells the station he considers the confrontation reported Tuesday a hate crime. Smith says he was disgusted but considers it an isolated incident.

The hatchet was not recovered.

A call to police Thursday was not immediately returned.

North Brookfield is a town of fewer than 5,000 people about 50 miles west of Boston.

From Associated Press