Firefighters respond to Warfield House Inn in Charlemont for smoke in attic

Staff Writer
Published: 7/21/2022 3:28:54 PM
Modified: 7/21/2022 3:26:02 PM

CHARLEMONT — Firefighters responded to Berkshire East Mountain Resort’s conference center, the Warfield House Inn, on Wednesday after smoke was seen in the attic.

While the building at 200 Warfield Road never caught fire, the smoke resulted from a failure of the lower motor in the venue’s air handling system. Firefighters were requested at 1:18 p.m.

“The Fire Department was called in an abundance of caution,” said Melissa Roberts, chief financial officer at Berkshire East Mountain Resort.

Fire departments from Charlemont, Rowe, Shelburne Falls, Colrain, Hawley and Ashfield all responded. Charlemont Fire Chief Dennis Annear said this is the normal response when a first-alarm fire is called.

“We needed the people, we didn’t need all the trucks,” Annear noted.

He explained the attic temperature rose to about 120 degrees due to the smoke. Firefighters could only take 10- to 15-minute shifts in the attic before they became overheated. While some firefighters suffered from high blood pressure due to the heat, Annear said there were no lasting injuries.

Roberts said there are now contractors at the Warfield House Inn making sure the air conditioning services are working properly.

“Our weddings and stays are continuing on schedule,” Roberts noted. “This had no impact on our business.”

Contact Bella Levavi at 413-930-4579 or


Support Local Journalism

Subscribe to the Greenfield Recorder, keeping Franklin County informed since 1792.

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261


Copyright © 2021 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy