Police: Bomb from Easthampton man designed to injure

  • Massachusetts State Police responded to a call for assistance on possible explosive device at Trew Stone Inc. in Deerfield on Wednesday. RECORDER STAFF/JOSHUA SOLOMON

Recorder Staff
Published: 3/29/2018 3:57:14 PM

DEERFIELD — The Easthampton man who police say left a pipe bomb at his east Deerfield workplace was arraigned in Greenfield District Court Thursday morning on charges of making and possessing an explosive device.

A not guilty plea was entered on behalf of Nelson Michael Lacaprucia, 46, an employee of Trew Stone Inc. He was held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing scheduled Monday, April 2.

Local police called for the Massachusetts State Police bomb squad Wednesday around 8 a.m. after a supervisor at the River Road quarry “found what was believed to be a pipe bomb in the (control room) work area of Mr. Nelson Lacaprucia,” according to a police report from Deerfield officer Adam Sokoloski.

Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were also at the scene, according to court documents.

Earlier Wednesday, Lacaprucia, who was not in Deerfield when police were called, had sent a text message to the supervisor saying he was taking a personal day. The Trew Stone facility, run by All States Material Group, of Sunderland, was evacuated as law enforcement evaluated the situation. Town records list 901 River Road at nearly 200 acres.

State troopers X-rayed the device and found “that it was in fact an explosive made with low-grade explosive powder and if a fire was set to the fuse it would create an explosion.” Components for other devices were found nearby.

Deerfield Police Chief John Paciorek Jr. noted in a letter submitted to the court that the device had “nails and metal pointed plates strapped to the exterior of the explosive device, so when the device is detonated, substantial damage to any surrounding property and person would be devastating.”

Following this discovery, Sokoloski and officers from the Easthampton Police Department arrested Lacapurcia at his Pomeroy Lane home, and transported him to the Deerfield Police Department.

“The device was disassembled and rendered safe by the State Police Bomb technicians,” according to Paciorek. Elsewhere in his letter, Paciorek said that, according to the supervisor, “Lacaprucia’s work performance and relationship with managers and co-employees has been diminishing,” culminating in a “verbal argument” Tuesday over deteriorating work performance.

In a later police interview documented in Sokoloski’s report, “Mr. Lacaprucia did admit and confirm that he made the explosive device found in the office area of his work station by combining gun powder owned and bought by him with other things from a supply trailer.”

Lacaprucia told police he purchased black powder “years ago,” and assembled the bomb over a month ago. He noted it was common to light off fireworks in the quarry, and he didn’t want to hurt anyone.

When pressed about the bomb’s exterior, which Sokoloski noted appeared like it was intended “to hurt someone,” Lacaprucia told police he built it “to see what it could do when it exploded underwater.”

A later search of Lacaprucia’s car uncovered a fuse wire similar to that attached to the device. When police informed Lacaprucia of his charges, Sokoloski noted that he “agreed that the charges were fitting based on his actions.”

Several law enforcement agencies were involved in the matter, including: Deerfield police, Easthampton Police Department detectives, state police, the fire marshal’s office, the bomb squad and the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office. Deerfield and Greenfield fire departments were also dispatched as a precaution. There were no injuries related to Wednesday’s events.

In a followup call Thursday, the District Attorney’s office said it didn’t have any more information to give. Messages were not immediately returned from both All States Material Group and Trew Stone. The state fire marshal’s office had no further comment.

Meanwhile, Deerfield Police Department continues to investigate Wednesday’s emergency, which police say doesn’t appear to be connected to any other incident.

“It is an isolated incident, and we don’t feel that there is any risk to the public,” Sokoloski said Thursday.

Depending upon the results of Monday’s dangerousness hearing, Lacaprucia can legally be held for up to 120 days without bail. At some point soon, it’s likely the case will be moved to Superior Court because of severity of the charges.

You can reach Andy Castillo

at: acastillo@recorder.com

or 413-772-0261, ext. 263

On Twitter: @AndyCCastillo

Greenfield Recorder

14 Hope Street
Greenfield, MA 01302-1367
Phone: (413) 772-0261
Fax: (413) 772-2906


Copyright © 2020 by Newspapers of Massachusetts, Inc.
Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy