State & Region Briefs

Wednesday, November 29, 2017
Cape Wind opponents appeal federal decision upholding lease

HYANNIS — Opponents of a proposed wind farm off Cape Cod are appealing a federal agency’s decision to leave in place the long-stalled project’s ocean lease.

The Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound says it filed a notice of appeal Tuesday with the Department of the Interior’s Board of Land Appeals along with the town of Barnstable, the Massachusetts Fishermen’s Partnership, the Aquinnah Wampanoag tribe and local other organizations.

The appeal comes after the Interior Department in September reaffirmed Cape Wind’s federal lease of 46 square miles in Nantucket Sound, which runs through 2041. It sought to become nation’s first offshore wind farm 16 years ago.

Opponents say federal officials should have taken into consideration that the project is no longer viable.

Trial to begin for suspect in football star’s shooting death

WORCESTER — Trial will soon begin for a man suspected in the shooting death of a former Worcester high school football star. Testimony will start Monday for the trial of 20-year-old Emil Encarnacion, of Worcester. Encarnacion has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of 18-year-old Samuel Castro. Castro was killed in Worcester in May 2015. He was a former student athlete at North High School.

Encarnacion is one of four people charged in connection with Castro’s death. One defendant pleaded guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon and was sentenced to time served. Another defendant pleaded guilty to a reduced manslaughter charge. The fourth defendant is scheduled for trial in April.

Man gets 3 years’ probation for charity scam

WOBURN — A man who collected about $76,000 in donations for fake charities that he claimed helped child cancer patients, injured veterans and firefighters has avoided jail.

Prosecutors say 26-year-old Zachary Noonan was sentenced Tuesday to three years’ probation and ordered to pay restitution and seek mental health treatment.

Authorities say Noonan once worked for an advertising company that solicited funds for nonprofits. After his employment ended, he continued soliciting money for fake charities that in many cases had names similar to legitimate charities.

Prosecutors say Noonan kept most of the money for his own use and no funds were ever used for their intended purpose.

The scam was uncovered in February when a person who made a $100 donation to a charity found there was no such organization and contacted police.

Parents say 3-year-old son was left on school bus for hours

TAUNTON — The parents of a 3-year-old boy say their son was left alone on a school bus for several hours before he was found. Xavier Ebersold was picked up from his parent’s home in Taunton for preschool around 8:30 a.m. Monday. The Ebersolds say their son was marked present at Triumph, Inc.

It wasn’t until 11 a.m. that the school called the Ebersolds about Xavier’s absence. The child’s mother says the program’s executive director found their son still on the bus around noon at a lot about 6 miles away.

Executive Director Karen Ennis says the school is cooperating with the Ebersolds and licensing authorities. Ennis says staff members involved have been removed from duty.

From Associated Press