M/clear
51°
M/clear
Hi 77° | Lo 63°
Neighbors

Neighbors: Connect or reconnect with family or friends

Hello neighbor.

I spent a few days and evenings this week visiting with my aunt and cousin from Seattle, Wash. The last time I saw my mother’s sister Dorothy and my cousin Laura was in 1975. I was going into my senior year in high school and Laura was just 3 years old.

What a great time we had, and what a wonderful thing, connecting with family again. I got to hear some wonderful stories about my mom. Connect with and enjoy your friends and family, whether you see them every day or it has been 38 years.

Have a great weekend!

OUR VERY OWN ANN HAMILTON, executive director of Franklin County Chamber of Commerce, has won WGBY’s Mary Alice Rogers Award for the many years of passion, energy and concern for others she showed as a three-term board member of WGBY Public Television for Western Massachusetts.

Ann decided not to return for the 2014 term.

“I am totally in awe to receive this distinguished honor, especially knowing others who have received it and the time and energy they have given to WGBY,” Ann told the board this week.

Ann was appointed to Greenfield’s Planning Board early in her career, and that led to her becoming the first female selectman in Greenfield in 1980. She was appointed executive director of the chamber in 1983, a position she continues to hold.

Ann has been a very busy woman. Congratulations to you, Ann!

CRUISE ON OVER TO the Franklin County Technical School Cool Rides Car Show on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The event at the school in the industrial park in Turners Falls is free and open to the public.

Everything from souped-up roadsters to antique cars and motorcycles to sports and muscle cars will be on display. People may just show up and put their vehicles on display.

The school’s Culinary Arts Program will offer a “Taste of Tech” prepared by chefs Ben Pike and Brenda Fortin and their students.

Sounds like a good time, and some good food.

DAKIN PIONEER VALLEY HUMANE SOCIETY is once again offering $5 adoptions for cats 6 months and older now through Sunday.

All cats are spayed or neutered, have had their shots, and are microchipped. They each go home with a collar, identification tag, and starter kit of food.

I hear there are plenty of cats waiting.

For more information, visit: www.dpvhs.org.

ANNUAL FAMILY FARM DAY AND RODEO, presented by Dare to Dream Educational Farm Program will be held Saturday at Crimson Acres on Route 202 in Orange from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be all sorts of activities and food.

Admission is free and the event is open to the public, with a nominal fee for some activities. All proceeds will go to Dare to Dream programs, which include therapeutic horseback riding and summer camps.

Contact 978-575-0341.

THERE WILL BE A BLESSING OF THE ANIMALS ceremony held on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. on the grassy quad at St. James Church, on Federal and Church streets in Greenfield. Bring your pet, or a picture of it, if you’d like to attend.

THE LOCAL AMERICAN LEGION (Post 81) will meet the first Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. at Smitty’s Pub, 26 Chapman St. in Greenfield until it finds a permanent home.

REMEMBER THE 500 HATS PROJECT I told you about earlier this year? Well, the group has received 755 hats so far and I’m told there are more on the way.

Knitters and crocheters may continue to drop hats off through October to Metaphor Yarns in Shelburne, World Eye Bookshop in Greenfield and Tilton Library in South Deerfield. Hats will be given to children and adults in need. They will be distributed by agencies with United Way of Franklin County. For more information, visit: www.500hats.org.

DICK’S ANGELS, a local Relay for Life team, will hold a French toast and ham breakfast on Oct. 6 from 8 to 11 a.m. at the Bernardston Veterans Club on Hartwell Street in Bernardston.

The team raised $19,000 last year.

Dick’s Angels will also begin serving dinner from 5 to 8 p.m. at the club on Friday nights beginning Oct. 25.

Keep up the good work, Angels.

OUR NEIGHBOR DICK BOLE said the First Congregational Church in Shelburne and the YMCA in Greenfield are holding a sock drive for the homeless Oct. 6 to 13. The Salvation Army in Greenfield will distribute them. Please bring socks to the church or YMCA.

If other organizations would like to join the drive, contact Dick at 413-625-9730.

THE TURNERS FALLS HIGH SCHOOL Student Council invites all of us to the school’s annual Homecoming Parade on Oct. 11 at 5 p.m. The parade will begin at Montague Elementary School and travel along Montague Street to the high school, where there will be a concession stand and other student fundraisers.

If you would like to march, be in the elementary school parking lot by 4:45 p.m. There will be a shuttle from the high school to the elementary school at 4:30 p.m.

I graduated from Turners Falls High School in 1976. I can tell you that the parade was always a fun time.

To find out what else is going on during Homecoming Week, call TFHS Student Council Adviser Sandy Bailey at 413-863-7296 or check Neighbors next week.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: franklincountyneighbors@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon two days before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.