M/cloudy
54°
M/cloudy
Hi 62° | Lo 46°
Neighbors

Neighbors: Only three full moons left this year

Hello neighbor.

Well, it’s here! Sunday is the first day of fall.

Temperatures have been dropping. It’s been pretty chilly at night and first thing in the morning.

I love it!

We saw September’s full moon, the Full Harvest Moon, last night, so we only have three full moons left this year — can you believe it?

The next, the Full Hunter’s Moon, will be on Oct. 18. It was named that because after the fields had been reaped, the leaves began to fall and the deer were fat and ready and hunters could ride easily over the field stubble. Animals were also more easily spotted.

Did you know that some years the Full Harvest Moon falls in October, instead of September? I believe the moon in those instances is called both the Full Harvest and the Full Hunter’s.

The Full Beaver Moon will show itself on Nov. 17 and Full Cold Moon will appear on Dec. 17.

Next month I’ll be asking our prognosticator Farrah Pomeroy if she’s ready to give us any predictions about winter — it’s not that far off.

But let’s not think about that right now.

According to the National Weather Service in Taunton, temperatures will reach the mid to high 70s over the next three to four days, so let’s enjoy.

You could always go to the 31st annual North Quabbin Fall Festival on Main Street in Athol on Saturday. There will be food, entertainment, a live auction, local shopping, a block party and more. It will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

And remember, the “festival that stinks,” the North Quabbin Garlic and Arts Festival, is just around the corner. It will be held Oct. 5 and 6 in Orange. I’ll tell you more about it as the dates get closer.

BEFORE I TELL YOU ABOUT THE WEEK AHEAD, I wanted to let you know that the pie auction that will be held during the Lake Pleasant Tag Sale this Saturday will begin at noon. The time of the auction was moved up an hour, so don’t miss it.

THE UNITED CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH of Conway will hold a bake sale at Greenfield Savings Bank on Route 116 in Conway today from noon to 4:45 p.m. The church will have everything from cakes and cookies to baked beans and more.

TRINITARIAN CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH IN NORTHFIELD will celebrate Marian Holbrook’s 60 years in its choir this Sunday. Marian died this year, but her memory lives on in the church at 147 Main St.

The celebration will begin at 10 a.m.

This is your opportunity to go and listen to special music that Marian loved, I’m told. It will be sung by the choir she loved — and there will be some special surprise guests.

There will be a convivial coffee hour hosted by the church choir and Music Committee after the celebration.

For more information, call Chris Harris at 413-498-2133 or email her at: chrisharriswriter@comcast.net.

COMMUNITIES THAT CARE COALITION is supporting “Family Day: A Day to Eat Dinner with Your Children” on Monday.

Family Day is a national movement launched by the Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse to celebrate parental engagement as an effective tool to help keep America’s kids, our kids, substance free.

What a wonderful idea.

But remember, Monday isn’t the only day you should sit and eat with your kids. Make it a habit. I actually can’t remember a night that my mom, dad, sister and I didn’t sit down and eat together, and because of that, I have a lot of great memories of conversations we had over the years.

For more information, visit: www.thefamilydinnerproject.org or www.CASAFamilyDay.org.

And for more information about the Communities That Care Coalition, which serves Franklin County and the North Quabbin area, visit: www.communitiesthatcarecoalition.org.

JUST SO YOU KNOW, beginning Monday, American Legion Post 81 Monday Night Meals will be held at the Guiding Star Grange, 401 Chapman St. in Greenfield. The Legion is selling its building on Wells Street.

Meals will now begin at 5:30 p.m., but the cost will remain at $8 per person. The Legion will also continue to do takeout meals.

This coming week, Sharon Call will prepare mac and cheese with ham.

For more information, call 413-772-0857.

BOSWELL’S BOOKS WILL BE HOSTING Christian McEwen, author of “World Enough & Time: On Creativity and Slowing Down,” on Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

McEwen will read from and discuss her book, which examines the trade-offs we all make in life.

Boswell’s is located at 10 Bridge St. in Shelburne Falls. For more information, call 413-625-9362 or email: boswellbuzz@gmail.com.

JUST ROOTS IN GREENFIELD is going to host Jade Alicandro, who will teach about how to use food as medicine, on Sept. 28 from noon to 2 p.m. at the farm, which is located off Leyden Road next to 34 Glenbrook Drive.

Alicandro says that so many foods and spices commonly found in people’s kitchens can be used to support a strong and healthy immune system and build “whole health.”

Benefits of eating locally and seasonally will be discussed, as well as how different flavors affect the body.

To register, email: annie@justroots.org. You can also call 413-376-8333.

DO YOU LOVE FLOWERS and other plants? Well, if you do, you have to check out the University of Massachusetts 2014 Garden Calendar. Not only is it absolutely gorgeous, but it offers information, tips and suggestions each day throughout the year.

The calendar is created each year by the UMass Extension Landscape, Nursery and Urban Forestry Program.

You can order the calendar online at: www.umassgardencalendar.org. The cost is $12 per calendar and there are bulk rates, as well.

Hurry before they’re gone!

OUR NEIGHBOR LINDA BERGERON of Leyden Road in Greenfield called me this week to tell me about the wonderful outpouring of support she received for the Out of the Darkness Walk she will be participating in on Sept. 29 in Boston.

Linda lost her daughter to suicide a couple of years ago and has been working to help others who have lost loved ones the same way ever since.

She said her team, “In Loving Memory of Tana (her daughter),” raised about $1,400 total — $800 of that was through a raffle the team held.

She said two beautiful baskets, one a John Deere and one a Kringle Candle, were won by people in Charlemont and Bernardston.

Linda is hoping to start an annual walk here in Franklin County. She said the money raised goes to Out of the Darkness and is used to help with prevention, education and support.

For more information, call Linda at 413-824-4166.

OUR NEIGHBOR PAULA BELL wanted me to tell you about another act of kindness.

Bell, who was recently a mother of the bride, was asked if she could get the wrinkles out of her daughter’s wedding dress before the big event — the bride had traveled from the eastern part of the state home to Greenfield and the dress had gotten wrinkled.

Bell brought the dress to Swift Cleaners and on the way to the rehearsal dinner picked it up.

“As I pulled out my wallet, I was informed that it was on the house,” said Paula. She said as she stared at the kind stranger, she was told, “Breathe and enjoy your daughter’s wedding day.”

Paula said her daughter looked stunning in the dress and she’d like to send out a big “thanks” to Swift.

I TOLD YOU ABOUT Christina Ashenden the other day and how she is raising money for the Crop Hunger Walk. I’m told the email address I was given to get hold of Christina is no longer in use. Please contact her at: christicloa@ymail.com.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: franklincountyneighbors@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon two days before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.