Neighbors

Neighbors: ‘Labor Day,’ survivor scarves and the importance of reading

Hello neighbor.

It was great seeing so many of you at the fair on Saturday evening. What a great time!

I thought you’d all like to know that writer-director Jason Reitman continued his tradition of debuting his films at the Telluride Film Festival this year with the screening of “Labor Day,” starring Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin.

I’m sure you all remember “Labor Day,” which was shot in our picturesque village of Shelburne Falls in June 2012. The film is scheduled to open in theaters in January 2014. I can’t wait.

Anyway, “Labor Day” nabbed the coveted first feature slot at the film festival in the Colorado mountain town — last year’s best picture Oscar winner, “Argo,” also debuted in that spot. I’m not saying that means anything, but you never know.

I also don’t want you to forget that it’s almost time for the Rays of Hope cancer walk from Greenfield Energy Park. Organizers will be collecting pink knitted or crocheted scarves until early October. The scarves are given to cancer survivors — it means so much to them.

I know, because my dear friend Judy cherishes hers.

You can deliver scarves to Phyllis Stone at Baystate Franklin Medical Center (just leave them at the main lobby reception desk).

If you’d like more information, call Phyllis at 413-773-2573 or email her at phyllis.stone@baystatehealth.org. You can also call or email Sandy Thomas at 413-773-3286 or rsthomas75@gmail.com.

The Rays of Hope walk will begin from the Energy Park on Oct. 20 at noon.

Finally, I’d like to send a congratulations out to all of you readers in Orange who participated in Wheeler Memorial Library’s Orange’s Dig Into Reading Program this summer.

Librarian Candy Cross tells me that 110 of you participated and read for a total of 1,332 hours, surpassing your goal and earning $400 for the Orange Food Pantry. Candy and Peter Cross donated another $100 to the pantry in honor of your success.

According to Candy, 21 children filled their reading logs and received special prizes.

Keep reading!

A VIEWING OF “ROOT HOG OR DIE” will follow the meeting of the Colrain Historical Society on Thursday. The meeting will be held at the home of Joan McQuade at 7 Main Road.

The film, made in 1970 by Rawn Fulton, features farmers and farm wives from Bernardston, Leyden and southern Vermont talking about farm life in the first half of the 20th century. Colrain’s Fred Call is featured in the film.

The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. and the film will follow at about 7:30 p.m. Refreshments will be served and the public is welcome.

For information, call Phil at 413-624-3710.

ALSO IN COLRAIN: On Sunday, there will be an open house from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Colrain Historical Museum, which will feature special exhibits of Catamount Hill. The exhibit will include maps, documents, pictures a materials on loan from the museum collection. They will cover a broad range of activities that the people on Catamount Hill experienced in their daily lives.

Muriel Russell will be at the open house to answer any questions, and reprints of the 1901 Catamount Hill Association book will be available for $15.

CANCER SURVIVORS AND THEIR LOVED ONES are invited to join a “Circus for Survivors” workshop on Sunday from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. at the New England Center for Circus Arts, 74 Cotton Mill Hill in Brattleboro, Vt.

The workshops are free and open to anyone living with a cancer diagnosis at any stage.

The program will include juggling, low balancing wires, aerial fabrics and trapezes.

Space is limited, so registration is required.

To register or for more information, call Pam Roberts at 413-625-2402 or email her at: pamro@aol.com.

PIONEER VALLEY REGIONAL SCHOOL will present a magic show with Peter Boie on Sept. 22 at 5 p.m. at the school. I’m told that Peter performs around the country.

The show will benefit the Sports For Life Foundation, a nonprofit that helps people of all ages play sports.

The show will cost $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 6 to 18. Children under age 5 and under are free.

BEGINNING AT NOON ON SEPT. 29, Rowe Historical Society will present “Rail-Fan II,” an all new program on the history of the Hoosac Tunnel. It will feature Jerry Kelly and Mark Lawrence. What makes this year’s program extra special for Franklin County? Well, it’s the presence of Carl Byron, author of the iconic book on the Hoosac Tunnel, “A Pinprick of Light,” because Carl grew up in Colrain, attended local schools, and began researching the tunnel early in his life. If you would like to meet Carl, he will be part of the Boston & Maine Railroad exhibit at “Rail-Fan II.”

For more information, visit: www.rowehistoricalsociety.org.

THE AMERICAN ROSIE THE RIVETER ASSOCIATION is looking for women in Franklin County and beyond who worked on the home front during World War II. You know who you are — you would probably be in your late 80s and 90s.

The association knows that each of you has a story to tell, and that story has a lot of historical value. The association would like to put together a record of all of those stories.

If you are one of these women, please call 888-557-6743 or email: americanrosietheriveter2@yahoo.com. You can also contact the association at: Rosie the Riveter, P.O. Box 188, Kimberly, AL 35091.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: franklincountyneighbors@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon two days before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.