M/sunny
67°
M/sunny
Hi 77° | Lo 50°
Neighbors

Enjoy the fair weather with friends, family

Hello neighbor.

It felt like fall the past few days, but I’m not one who is going to complain — that happens to be my favorite season.

I’m sure we haven’t seen the end of the “dog days” of summer. I checked the National Weather Service in Taunton and found that today’s temperature will be in the low 80s, but temperatures will continue to creep up each day until they get into the upper 80s on Wednesday. It looks like overnight temps will be in the 50s, though, and that’s not bad for August.

So, while many typically spend their time in air conditioning this time of year, it looks like this will be a great five or six days to get out and enjoy Franklin County.

Take the kids to a local park or take a hike through one of your favorite state parks. Take a ride with a neighbor through one of our hill towns.

And, don’t forget, the Heath Fair starts tonight and runs through Sunday. It’s a great place to spend the day. You’ll almost feel like you’re being transported back in time as you walk the fairgrounds and watch tractor and truck pulls, ox and horse draws, and rabbit, cattle and sheep shows.

If you’d like more information about the fair schedule, visit: www.heathfair.org.

Have fun!

PLEASE REMEMBER TO DROP OFF YOUR UNUSED CHRISTMAS CARDS to The Recorder so I can get them to Anne Marwick. She and her husband are once again getting them signed by local adults and students so that they can send them to the Wounded Warrior Battalion.

DAKIN PIONEER VALLEY HUMANE SOCIETY has another reason to celebrate. This time, the nonprofit has receive a $20,000 grant from the Massachusetts Animal Coalition as part of its special “I’m Animal Friendly” license plate program, which supports spay and neuter efforts throughout the state.

The grant will help Dakin, which has spayed and neutered more than 40,000 animals since 2009, continue its program.

For more information about Dakin, visit: www.dpvhs.org.

If you’d like to order a license plate, visit: www.petplate.org.

ANNA KLAUS OF MONTAGUE is looking for classmates who did not receive an invitation to the Athol High School Class of 1945 reunion, which will be held Sept. 15 at King Phillip’s Restaurant in Phillipston. Please call Anna if you want an invitation. She promises it will be a great time.

JUST ROOTS is giving a whole new meaning to “speed dating.” The nonprofit is holding a “Weed Dating” event tonight at Greenfield Community Farm at 34 Glenbrook Drive in Greenfield.

From 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., there will be a tour of the farm. From 7 to 7:45 p.m., singles will weed with each other — you weed with one person for a while and then switch. And finally, from 7:45 to 8:30 p.m., everyone will mingle at the barn.

I’m told anyone, single or not, may participate in the weeding, but there’s a limit to how many can join, so preference will be given to you single gardeners.

When you register at 413-376-8333, you will choose from three categories: interested in men, interested in women, or just interested in weeding.

Register online at: www.justroots.org/weed-dating.

FOSTER’S SUPER MARKET AND COCA-COLA of Greenfield are teaming up with the Center of Self-Reliance Food Pantry to host a food drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at Foster’s on Allen Street.

It’s the third year Foster’s and Coca-Cola have teamed up to help. Last year they collected more than 500 pounds of food and about $500, and are hoping to double those figures this year. I hear anyone who donates will receive a free hot dog and Coke.

For more information, call 413-773-5029 or email Dino Schnelle at: dschnelle@communityaction.us.

LEYDEN METHODIST CHURCH’S BLUEBERRY SUPPER will be held at Leyden Town Hall on Saturday, with seatings at 4:30, 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. The cost is $10 for adults and $6 for children 10 years old and younger. If you’d like to make a reservation, call 413-772-2606.

THE BERNARDSTON KIWANIS CLUB will be holding its annual Senior Dinner on Tuesday evening in Kiwanis Park, beginning at 5:30 p.m. with a social hour. A baked ham dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m. to all Bernardston seniors who attend.

MANY LOCALS HAVE COME TO CALL Saint Joseph Parish’s annual tag sale at 34 Monroe Ave. in Shelburne Falls “the best tag sale in West County.”

This year the church fundraiser will be held Aug. 24 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., rain or shine. There will also be a tea cup auction, bake sale, multiple raffles, a food concession stand and a scrap metal dropoff at the same time.

There’s plenty of free parking, so all you have to worry about is getting there early enough on the 24th to get what you are looking for.

I WANTED TO ACKNOWLEDGE HER ACHIEVEMENT and congratulate our former neighbor Deborah L. Wilson, whose parents Hugh and Evelyn Hayden still live in Greenfield. Deb is the new director of nursing for long-term acute care at Spaulding North Shore rehabilitation hospital in Salem.

Deb, who has a master’s degree in nursing, grew up in Greenfield and graduated from Greenfield High School in 1976. Her parents moved here in 1952. Deb lives in Beverly and is married with three children.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: franklincountyneighbors@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon two days before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.