M/clear
21°
M/clear
Hi 34° | Lo 23°
Neighbors

Off to the paperweight convention

Hello neighbor.

Well, I’ve settled in and am officially a Greenfield resident again. It was a long week.

If reports are correct, we are in the first full day of a late-May-early-June heat wave. I’m sure I’m not enjoying it. I’m a 75-degrees-with-a-nice-breeze woman.

There’s not a lot to tell you about, in terms of what’s going on in the county, because I’ve given you everything I know about over the past week or so. Besides, I’m sure with the beautiful weather we’re having, you’ll find something to do this weekend.

What I will talk about today is a couple of people who sent me information on things they are doing.

OUR NEIGHBOR BERNARD DRABECK, who is president of the national Paperweight Collectors Association, told me he’ll be attending the association’s biennial convention this year. The convention is being held in New Orleans, La.

The former Greenfield Community College professor has served two full terms as president of the association. He told me he is limited to three.

He taught English at GCC for many years and in 1974 helped establish GCC’s Archibald MacLeish Collection to honor the three-time Pulitzer prize-winning poet and playwright, who made his home in Conway until his death in 1982.

Over the years, it appears Drabeck’s attention— turned to all types of paperweights. He says he became interested in collecting them in 1973. He says he loves and is fascinated by the beauty and art, flora and fauna encased in crystal.

He joined the PCA in 1973 and has traveled to Toledo, Ohio, and Washington, D.C., for the two other conventions he recently attended.

We should all have a hobby that keeps us this involved — not only with the object of our attentions, but with the other people, neighbors, who share that interest.

Have a great time in New Orleans.

I ALSO WANTED TO CONGRATULATE all of you named “volunteers of the year” by the YMCA this year.

Sandra Bielunis was named “Ambassador of the Year,” while Penny Ricketts was given the Y’s Community Award.

Cindy Peters was named “Volunteer of the Year” in adult wellness and Dan McKenna in youth sports.

Emily Mills was top volunteer in the Teen Leaders Club and Deb Jurek was recognized for her volunteerism in administration.

Lynn Stowe Tomb received recognition for her work in aquatics, Lois Heddens for her work in Child Watch, Elaine Conant for her work in the Y’s full-day preschool, and Matt Lucier for his work in the afterschool child care program.

Congratulations to all! Thanks for all you do.

This year’s Y Family of the Year is Kerri, Olivia and Ella Vassar. Congratulations Vassars!

SPEAKING OF VOLUNTEERS, we also heard that the Frontier Senior Center honored its volunteers at a special lunch event Thursday at the Polish-American Citizens Club in South Deerfield.

MORE FARMERS MARKETS are springing up as we head into summer. The folks in Bernardston hold theirs Saturdays at the United Church parking lot. The market manager, whose first name is Gloria, can be reached at 648-0056. Starts this Saturday, and they are always open to new vendor inquiries.

And Northfield is holding its market at the Northfield Coffee and Books Building across from the town elementary school at 105 Main St., rain or shine. They are always looking for new venders, too. Call Laura at 498-2716.

ONE MORE THING — Due to Pioneer Valley Regional School’s graduation next Friday, June’s Second Saturday Roast Beef Supper at the United Church of Bernardston is canceled. Suppers will begin again in October.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280 or call her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon on the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.