A shower
50°
A shower
Hi 62° | Lo 48°
Neighbors

Neighbors: more full moon names

Hello neighbor.

On Wednesday night, March’s full moon shone above my apartment in Shutesbury, covered by a sheer cloud blanket. It was difficult to keep my eyes off of it as I drove home late from The Recorder.

March’s full moon is known as the Full Worm Moon, named so because March is when temperatures begin warming and the ground starts to thaw. Therefore, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robin, according to Yankee Magazine’s Old Farmers’ Almanac.

It is also known to more northern Native American tribes as the Full Crow Moon, and others have called it the Full Crust Moon, because the snow cover begins to thaw during the day and then freezes again most nights, leaving a crusty top layer, and the Full Sap Moon. Settlers called it the Lenten Moon.

But, now we look ahead to April, which will bring us the Full Pink Moon on the 25th.

According to the Farmers’ Almanac, it is called this because moss pink, a flowering ground cover, arrives early in spring.

April’s full moon is also known as the Full Sprouting Grass Moon, and among coastal tribes, the Full Fish Moon, because shad would swim upstream to spawn in April.

Whatever name you choose to call it, get out there next month and take in the wonder of this beautiful celestial body.

A BENEFIT WILL BE HELD APRIL 3 for Forest Moon, the area nonprofit that provides free or “very low” cost workshops and retreats for cancer survivors and their loved ones.

“Lighting a Path through Cancer: Dining for a Cause” will be held at the 99 Restaurant on Putney Road in Brattleboro, Vt. from 5 to 10 p.m. Fifteen percent of each diner’s check will be donated to Forest Moon, and all proceeds will be matched by a Forest Moon board member.

For more information, call 802-246-1368 or visit: www.forestmoon.org.

MONTAGUE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH on 4 North St. in Montague Center will hold its 72nd annual Sugar Supper on April 6 at 5:30 p.m. Corned beef hash, baked beans, Harvard beets, coleslaw, and homemade bread and doughnuts. The meal will be topped off with sugar on snow.

The price is $12 for adults and $5 for children under 10.

For reservations or take-out orders, call 413-774-7256.

A SUGAR ON SNOW SUPPER WILL ALSO BE HELD in Leyden Town Hall on April 6. Seatings will be at 5, 6 and 7 p.m.

Dinner will feature Rita’s “famous shepherd’s pie,” made with grass-fed cows from Castle Hill Farm or ground lamb from Leyden Glen Farm. There will also be green salad and Leyden maple syrup over snow.

There will be a silent auction to benefit Jeff Stebbins to help defray some of his recent medical expenses.

Jeff, 65, was almost killed in a tractor accident last year. He was hospitalized for two months after breaking every rib, both shoulder blades, and four vertebrae.

The dinner is sponsored by the Leyden Agricultural Commission and will be prepared by Leyden Methodist Church.

The cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children 6 years old and younger.

MILLERS RIVER ENVIRONMENTAL CENTER will hold a training for volunteers on how to properly conduct a stream culvert survey. The training will be at 100 Main St. in Athol on April 6 from 9 a.m. to noon. Volunteers will also learn where to store data so that priority planning can be done to improve culvert conditions. A thorough survey will eventually be done in stages.

For more information or to participate, call Keith Davies at 978-248-9491 or at watershed@millersriver.net.

ARE YOU AN ADULT INTERESTED IN LEARNING COMPUTER SKILLS?

If so, Deerfield Academy students would like to teach you. They will hold classes three afternoons a week beginning Monday and running through May 16.

The free course is being offered by the academy’s Community Service Program.

For more information, call 413-774-1487.

GREENFIELD GRILLE AND BASE CAMP PHOTO are teaming up to create a “cultural collaboration” of rotating exhibitions of local photographers.

Three times a year, photographer and owner of Base Camp, Beth Reynolds, will curate photographs by Base Camp students. The Grille will host an opening reception for each new exhibit, which will be free and open to the public.

The first reception will be held April 7 from 4 to 6 p.m. Light hors d’oeuvres will be served and photographers will be present to discuss their work. All images will be available for purchase.

ARTSPACE COMMUNITY ARTS CENTER will hold its annual auction at Hope and Olive restaurant on Hope Street in Greenfield on April 8 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Admission is free.

Appetizers will be served and there will be a cash bar, live auction and silent auction.

For more information, call Artspace at 413-772-6811 or visit: www.franklyarts.com.

AS GREENFIELD HIGH SCHOOL PREPARES for the ground breaking of its new building, it is doing some housecleaning and has found old yearbooks.

Tara Cloutier, yearbook adviser, said she has found copies dating as far back as 1931.

The school will set aside two copies of every yearbook for itself, and will sell the rest ($20) to benefit students who can’t afford to buy their own yearbook.

If you want a copy, go to the high school guidance office to browse. You can also call Suzanne Chornyak at 413-772-1356 or write Tara at tarclo1@gpsk12.org.

NEIGHBOR VICKIE RIGGS SELLECK contacted me recently to tell me she is working with a knitting and crocheting group at Metaphor Yarns and the group plans to donate hats to Warm the Children to help local youth keep warm next fall and winter.

The group is planning an event that will tie in making the warm hats for local children in need with the 75th anniversary of the publication of Dr. Seuss’ “The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.”

Who doesn’t love Dr. Seuss?

OUR NEIGHBOR IN GREENFIELD, THERESA A. GOZESKI, wrote to tell me about her hobby — her passion — doll house miniatures, but with a twist, she told me.

She has been making and collecting the 1∕12th-scale items for more than 30 years, and she also does needlework. So, she combined the two by hand beading all kinds of figurines and accessories for doll houses.

She has an online shop at: www.beadcharmed.etsy.com.

Theresa has also started a line of quarter-scale miniature fantasy scene figurines.

“I use inexpensive things for my creations, like beads, buttons, jewelry, crystals, freshwater pearls, and general craft supplies,” Theresa told me.

She also contributes to Dollhouse Miniatures magazine. Her most current contribution can be found in the March-April issue.

BE LOOKING FOR MY NEIGHBORS COLUMN NEXT TUESDAY, when I tell you about a young couple who moved here from the Midwest several months ago, because he got a job at Applied Dynamics in Greenfield.

Jenny and David Valdez had to leave their little girl behind, because she is quite ill and they don’t have the resources to bring her here, yet.

Jenny delivered Jasmine 30 weeks into her pregnancy, and Jasmine, now about 9 months old, was diagnosed with arthrogyposis multiplex congenita, a nonprogressive congenital disorder characterized by muscle weakness and fibrosis. The disease cannot be reversed, but her quality of life could be improved.

The only way the couple can get their daughter out here is by medical transport plane, which will cost between $10,000 and $30,000.

That’s where you come in — they are looking for help.

Lisa Granger, branch manager at the main office of Greenfield Co-operative Bank sent me a letter saying an account has been opened at the bank.

Anyone wishing to contribute may send a donation to: Greenfield Co-operative Bank, Attn: The Jasmine Valdez Fund, 63 Federal St., Greenfield, MA 01301.

Jenny and I sat down to talk recently, and I’d like to tell you more of her family’s story.

See you next week.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280 or call her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon on the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.