Some clouds
58°
Some clouds
Hi 64° | Lo 46°
Neighbors

Neighbors: What are some of your favorite, and most unusual, hobbies?

Hello neighbor.

I used to drive my mom crazy, because each time I’d see her, I would tell her about one of my many new interests.

I’ve tried just about everything — knitting, crocheting, stamping, painting, the list goes on and on and on. But, I’ve never really found one that stuck.

“Why don’t you settle on one thing and put your all into it?” she would ask, well, tell me, time and again throughout the years.

I admit it: I can’t sit still and I lose interest really fast.

I think that’s why I love being a journalist. It’s something new every day, even when I’m covering the same people or issues.

My children also get annoyed with my constant leap from one thing to another. I’m still trying to find the perfect hobby, but I keep asking myself whether I really need one.

My job certainly keeps me occupied. Most of my spare time is spent with my three children, and with 18-month-old Justin, and 6-month-olds, Owen and Travis, so you can imagine how little spare time I actually have to put into a hobby.

I do think, though, that we all need something that is just ours. I love my “down time” and usually end up wasting most of it, but that’s, again, because I like to keep busy.

So, I have another request.

Please write and tell me about your hobby.

I’d love to hear about more unique or unusual ones. I think we’ve probably all tried the more traditional ones at one point or another in our lives, so tell me about something I may not have heard about yet.

Tell me how you got into it, what keeps you interested, where you do it, the cost, anything and everything about it.

I’d love to share some of your hobbies with your neighbors. Who knows, I might just find that one thing for myself.

Have a great weekend.

BEGINNING TODAY, GREENFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY’S Writers Lunch will include a two-hour writing workshop every Friday from noon to 2 p.m.

Jane Buchanan and Joannah Whitney will lead the program, which will include writing exercises and discussions.

For more information about GPL’s Writers Lunch or the workshop, call 413-772-1544, ext. 110.

BAYSTATE FRANKLIN MEDICAL CENTER Employee United Way Committee will sponsor a family portrait opportunity at Hallmark Institute of Photography on Industrial Boulevard in Turners Falls on March 9 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. to raise money for United Way of Franklin County.

Sittings will be scheduled 15 minutes apart, with Hallmark students taking the photographs. There will be a $25 sitting fee, which must be paid before a sitting reservation is confirmed.

Various photo packages will be available for purchase at “reasonable prices,” I am told.

For more information or to schedule a sitting, contact Sarah Gagaris at BFMC at 413-773-2208.

THE ANNUAL SCOTTISH CELIDH at Bernardston Unitarian Church will be held Sunday at 11:30 a.m.

The poetry of Robert Burns will be celebrated. There will be Scottish tunes and treats, and the Falltown String Band, with Marvin and Sue Shedd, Jason Burbank, Jack Nelson, Ray McIntire, and Lynne Walker on piano, will perform.

For more information, visit: www.bernardstonunitarian.org.

RETIRED AND SENIOR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM of Franklin and Hampshire counties will hold free instructor training to lead its Healthy Bones and Balance classes. Training will be on Saturday and again on March 9, both from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Easthampton Enrichment Center, 19 Union St.

The training prepares volunteers to lead ongoing co-educational “bone building” classes.

For more information, call Deborah Epstein at 413-584-1300, ext. 184, or Pat Sicard at 413-584-1300, ext. 183.

ASHFIELD CONGREGATIONAL RELAY FOR LIFE TEAM will hold a Scrabble tournament on March 9 from 1 to 4 p.m. at the church to benefit the American Cancer Society.

Three half-hour Scrabble games will be played with 15-minute breaks between games.

There will be door prizes and snacks.

Preregistration is suggested, and a donation of $10 is also suggested.

For more information, call 413-625-9383.

THE DEERFIELD VALLEY ART ASSOCIATION Winter Show will happen now through March 9 on the third floor of Wilson’s Department Store in Greenfield.

The opening reception will be today from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.

There will be art, crafts, jewelry, prints and cards for sale.

The show will be during store hours.

For more information, visit: www.deerfieldvalleyart.com.

THE UNITED ARC will hold its annual auction at Greenfield Community College on March 9 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the Cohn Family Dining Commons.

Spend an evening with friends and neighbors, while bidding on a variety of objects.

Bill Pratt will be the auctioneer.

There will be many traditional items up for bid, including United Arc’s African Safari vacation, scenic flights over Franklin County, a week on Martha’s Vineyard, and many gift certificates to local stores and restaurants.

Admission is free.

All attendees will be entered into one raffle.

Refreshments will be served.

For more information, visit: www.unitedarc.org.

ALSO, THE UNITED ARC AND TRAIL TOC at 1105 Mohawk Trail in Shelburne, will hold a benefit dinner on March 8. There will be two seatings: one at 5 p.m. and one at 6:30 p.m.

The cost is $20 per person, and 50 percent of the proceeds will go to the United Arc.

Choices for dinner are chicken cordon bleu or roast pork loin.

For more information, visit: www.unitedarc.org.

GREATER SHELBURNE FALLS AREA BUSINESS ASSOCIATION is seeking applications from local students with strong interests in pursuing careers in business for its spring scholarship award.

Students who have demonstrated an interest and involvement in business and entrepreneurship, and are active in volunteer service in the community, should apply for the $500 scholarship, which helps the recipient continue his or her education through accredited continuing education courses at a college or university.

Only students from the 10 towns served by GSFABA (Ashfield, Buckland, Charlemont, Conway, Colrain, Hawley, Heath, Plainfield, Shelburne and Rowe) are eligible. They must be a graduating senior, and have maintained good academic standing throughout high school.

Applications are available at school guidance offices, town halls, or by visiting: www.gsfaba.org.

Applications may also be requested at: info@shelburnefalls.com.

Applications must be submitted to school guidance offices or the GSFABA by April 5.

THE GSFABA IS ALSO SEEKING nominations for the Annual Marvin J. Shippee Community Service Award. The deadline for submissions is also April 5.

The award was given for the first time in 1998.

Nominees should demonstrate volunteerism above and beyond the recipient’s paid employment. The award should recognize service in the Shelburne Falls area, which includes Ashfield, Buckland, Charlemont, Colrain, Conway, Hawley, Heath, Plainfield, and Rowe. The GSFABA would like the recipient to be a resident of the 10-town Shelburne area, but it is not required.

For more information, visit: www.gsfaba.org.

TURNERS FALLS ARTIST NINA ROSSI is looking for someone with a pickup or van to transport a light, but bulky, sculpture of a large, green slug, to Norwood.

Author Joe Hart of Norwood, who wrote the children’s book “Slugs Are Yummy,” has offered to give the slug a new home, but has no way to get the sculpture to Norwood.

The slug sculpture has been sitting in Nina’s shop, Nina’s Nook, on Avenue A in Turners Falls.

Nina said she is hoping someone who is headed to the Cambridge area with a vehicle that could accommodate the slug’s “inconveniently tall eye stalks” would offer to drop it off to Hart.

For details, call Nina at 413-834-8800.

LINDA ROMANO OF COLRAIN is holding an affirmation-card-making workshop on March 9 from 1 to 3 p.m. in Leyden Town Hall.

They will be made on portable cards, which may be used by people to assist them in thought, word, action and character. Supplies and refreshments will be available.

There will be a small fee for the workshop, which is part of a Healing Arts series she offers.

For more information, call Linda, a holistic practitioner of massage, bodywork and yoga, at 413-624-3334.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280 or call her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon on the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.