P/cloudy
61°
P/cloudy
Hi 80° | Lo 51°
Neighbors

Neighbors: Franklin County full of good-deed doers

• Recorder/Peter MacDonald<br/>Elyssa Serrilli of Leverett, Mert Spearance of Shelburne and Kevin Farrell of Greenfield take advantage of the free Wi-Fi in the LeVanway Meeting Room at the Greenfield Public Library.

Recorder/Peter MacDonald
    Elyssa Serrilli of Leverett, Mert Spearance of Shelburne and Kevin Farrell of Greenfield take advantage of the free Wi-Fi in the LeVanway Meeting Room at the Greenfield Public Library.

• Recorder/Peter MacDonald<br/>Elyssa Serrilli of Leverett, Mert Spearance of Shelburne and Kevin Farrell of Greenfield take advantage of the free Wi-Fi in the LeVanway Meeting Room at the Greenfield Public Library.

Hello neighbors.

You are not disappointing me.

I have heard from a number of you since I asked you to tell me about a neighbor who has done a good deed.

Today, I want to tell you about Lisa Turner, who lives in Hawley, and just experienced the type of kindness I’ve been talking about.

Lisa told me that doctors recently found a tumor the size of a grapefruit in her abdomen. She needed almost immediate surgery.

She and Tedd White co-own a dairy farm in Hawley. They have 130 cows, 45 of which have to be milked twice a day.

Doctors told Lisa she could not do any work until the tumor was removed and she had recovered. Luckily, the tumor was benign.

Lisa said she typically feeds the cows and provides milk to the smaller ones a couple of times daily. She couldn’t continue for some time, but didn’t know if Tedd was going to be burdened with all of the work on the farm — an almost impossible task, she said.

She told her neighbors, Dave and Sally Rich of her dilemma.

“To my surprise, Dave, at 71, began to show up twice a day, morning and night, to take over the chores I normally do,” Lisa told me. “Sally quickly baked me enough meals to get me by until my surgery (last Friday).”

While Lisa continues to recuperate, Dave continues to do her chores.

She said members of the Mary Lyon Church in Buckland have also been there to help out where and when she has needed.

This is just another example of the good people we have living around us here in the county.

No matter how young or how old you are, you can always do something to touch the life of a neighbor — you won’t regret it, and they’ll never forget it.

SHELBURNE FALLS SENIOR CENTER DIRECTOR Cathy Buntin told me she would like to recognize the good deeds of the Buckland Shelburne and Hawlemont schools and their teachers, who created beautiful valentine cards for local seniors.

The cards were distributed at various senior center events, and to homebound elders throughout West County by Meals on Wheels volunteers.

“Thanks for sharing your love and kindness to brighten someone’s winter days,” she wants to say to those thoughtful children and teachers.

THE GREENFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY will open its LeVanway Meeting Room to local businesses and telecommuters every Monday and Friday from 2 to 5 p.m. beginning this week.

“We know there are a number of people who need a quiet space to work with reliable wireless Internet access,” said Assistant Director Lisa Prolman. “We hope by making our space available to them, we can help out in some way.”

Access to the room will be free and open to all who need a space to work. For more information, call Lisa or Jane Buchanan at 413-772-1544.

ALSO, THE GREENFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY would like you to join friends on an adventure with characters from “The Chronicles of Narnia” by C.S. Lewis on March 9 from 4 to 5:20 p.m. at the library.

Library staff and volunteers will create the characters and some of the scenes familiar to readers who have enjoyed the magical stories.

The event, for ages 7 and older, is free and open to the public.

For more information, call the library’s children’s desk at 413-772-1544, ext. 5.

AMERICAN LEGION POST 81 will celebrate 65 years in the building off Wells Street on Sunday, at the same time it holds a memorial to Chester S. Martin, one of its past commanders who recently died.

A roast beef dinner will begin at 1 p.m. with a memorial program following, and then dancing to Champagne Jam Band until 6 p.m.

Tickets are $12 per person. To reserve tickets, call 413-772-0857 or Dick Henry at 413-773-7466.

LOCAL COMEDIAN ELLEN VILLANI is back to perform at Artspace’s Soup and Sass, an evening of comedy, music and great food on March 15 at 5:30 p.m.

Her son Jack and his band Villamas will make a special appearance.

Ellen gave her first comedy performances at Artspace, 15 Mill St. in Greenfield, several years ago.

Proceeds from the show will support Artspace’s music and art programs.

Admission to the show is $25 and includes soup and hearty appetizers.

For tickets, call Artspace at 413-772-6811. There are only 50 seats available.

That’s it for now, but please keep sending me stories of your neighbors, the things they are doing, and the good deeds you’ve experienced or heard about in your travels through Franklin County. Thank you.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280 or call her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon on the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.