M/cloudy
47°
M/cloudy
Hi 53° | Lo 39°

Neighbors: Still digging out

Hello neighbor.

Wow!

What else can you say about the crippling storm that buried the Northeast this past weekend?

And then, to add insult to injury, on Monday the snow was followed by a wintery mix that made driving anything but pleasurable — or safe.

Many of us will be digging out for some time.

I got home on Sunday afternoon from riding out the storm with my son, daughter-in-law, and Justin, and found my apartment buried to halfway up the front door. It was tons of fun shoveling out.

I hope you all stayed safe and are looking forward to the rest of the week, though I did hear we are supposed to have more snow on Wednesday night into Thursday.

At this rate, if our prognosticator Farrah Pomeroy is correct, spring should be here sooner than we think.

Before I end, I’d like to send out a “shout” to my cousin Gary Hawkins, who has worked at the Franklin County jail for the past 41 years. Capt. Hawkins will be retiring at the end of the month.

Happy birthday and a very happy retirement, Gary. See you at the next family gathering.

Enjoy your week everyone.

DIAL/SELF YOUTH AND COMMUNITY SERVICES will hold an indoor tag sale at 21 Abbott St. in Greenfield on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The sale will benefit services to at-risk and homeless youths in Franklin County and the North Quabbin area.

The majority of items at the sale will be for office, home office and school.

THE FRIENDS OF THE GREENFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY book sale, which was canceled due to the storm last weekend, will be held Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the library.

I GOT A CALL FROM SUSAN SHARBAUGH OF ERVING this week, telling me that St. Jude’s Ranch for Children in Nevada collects used greeting cards and recycles them to make new ones to raise money for the organization, which takes care of abused and neglected children.

Susan thought it would be a good way for people to recycle their greeting cards, though because of copyright laws, St. Jude’s can’t accept cards distributed by Disney, American Greetings or Hallmark.

If you are interested in donating your used cards, send them to: St. Jude’s Ranch for Children, Attn: Donor Office, P.O. Box 60100, Boulder City, NV 89006-0100.

THE FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF SHELBURNE is sponsoring a benefit for Hilltown Churches Food Pantry in Ashfield and Good Neighbors Food Pantry in Charlemont on Feb. 23.

Currently, the church is seeking acts for the Music Fills the Pantry event, a variety show to benefit the two pantries. The event will be held at Fellowship Hall, Little Mohawk Road in Shelburne from 4 to 8 p.m., or whenever the fun runs out. The snow date will be Feb. 24.

There will also be a Soup and Snack Cafe at the event to benefit First Congregational Church.

To sign up to perform for Music Fills the Pantry, contact Barbara Goodchild at 413-625-8203.

BOSWELL’S BOOKS AT 10 BRIDGE ST. IN SHELBURNE FALLS will host nationally acclaimed novelist Matthew Dicks, who will be speaking about, and reading from, his three novels, on Feb. 23 at 6:30 p.m. The event was rescheduled because of the latest winter storm.

OUR NEIGHBOR MARION COTTON wanted all of us to know how wonderful it is to have good neighbors, like hers on Eastern Avenue.

She told me she was “chewing on a bagel” last Wednesday when something got stuck in her throat. She said she tried to drink something to push it down, but soon realized it was more serious than she’d originally thought.

“I ran to the phone and called my neighbor Tammy Campbell,” she said. “She did the Heimlich on me, and up came the plastic tab that goes around the packaging. I have no idea how that got in my mouth.”

Marion, who lives with her husband Sandy, said she is so grateful for neighbors like Tammy.

“They are always there when you need them,” she said.

THE WILLIS FAMILY RELAY FOR LIFE TEAM will hold a Pampered Chef and Bingo fundraiser on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. at Mary Lyon Church in Buckland.

Proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society. Judy Willis will host the event.

The cost is $10 per person for five bingo cards. Additional cards may be purchased for $5 for three cards.

Pampered Chef orders will be accepted at the fundraiser or online at: www.pamperedchef.biz/bclifford. Twenty-five percent of sales will go to the American Cancer Society.

For more information, contact Judy at 413-625-2649 or Betsey Clifford at 413-522-3027. You can also visit: www.facebook.com/cookwithbetsey.

THE BEACON FIELD PLAYGROUND COMMITTEE canceled its book sale last weekend because of the storm. It will be held Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. at Roundabout Books, 26 Kenwood St. in Greenfield.

THERE WILL BE AN ICE HARVESTING in Warwick on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The event, sponsored by the Warwick Historical Society and the Moore’s Pond Beach Committee, is part of Warwick’s 250th anniversary celebration.

The ice harvesting will happen using hand saws, ice tongs and an iron-wheeled cart, and according to organizers, many of the town’s men remember helping with ice harvesting, which provided homes with ice before there was refrigeration.

The ice will be buried in sawdust for use in making hand-cranked ice cream for Old Home Day festivities planned for August.

People should meet at the town beach on Wendell Road to watch or participate.

For more information, call David or Beverly Shepardson at 978-544-1806.

OUR NEIGHBOR PHIL CORRINET would like you to consider hosting a boy or girl, approximately 16 years old, from another country, who would attend a local school in the area next fall.

The exchange students arrive a week before school starts and leave within a week after it ends.

Host families are asked to provide a bed, food, and family to the students, who have their own insurance and spending money.

Phil said there are plenty of countries to choose from: Germany, China, Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, Moldova, and more.

For more information, contact Phil at 413-773-5111.

OUR NEIGHBOR ROBERT BITZER OF ERVING shared a nice piece of history with me recently. He brought me a Greenfield Recorder-Gazette calendar dated 1947.

Robert said he delivered the newspaper when he was a kid. He said he didn’t want to keep the calendar all to himself, but instead thought I would love to see what the newspaper handed out to its customers.

Thanks for sharing, Robert.

THE SHELBURNE SENIOR CENTER will have a Valentine’s Day celebration on Thursday at 11 a.m. Steve Damon will entertain. The theme will be “Name That Tune.”

Anyone wishing to stay for lunch that day may contact Hugh by the end of today at 625-6266.

Following lunch there will be a chocolate fondue dessert, valentine cards and valentine bingo with special prizes.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or call 413-772-0261, ext. 280 or her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon on the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.