Clouds and sun
63°
Clouds and sun
Hi 78° | Lo 52°
Savoring the Seasons

Savoring the Seasons: Warm food for cold winter nights

Special to The Recorder

I generally write this column over the weekend as it is due Sunday evening (actually, it’s due Monday morning earlier than I want to be up and writing, so I submit it on Sunday evening!). I’m writing this particular submission after the BIG snowstorm and before whatever ice/sleet/rain thing happens on Monday.

Right now, it sure looks like WINTER outside my window. I feel immensely grateful for snow plow folks, electricity, a snug house, a warm woodstove, and a well-stocked woodpile, pantry and freezer.

During the storm, I cooked Bostrom Farm beef short ribs. First, I read what Mark Bittman said in his great cookbook “How to Cook Everything” about cooking short ribs. Loosely following his advice, I browned the meat for 20 minutes (at 500 degrees in the oven), sauteed chopped onions, covered the meat and onions with water, and cooked it in a Dutch oven on top of the woodstove until the meat fell off the bones. Separately, I boiled some cubed potatoes, although I could have cooked them with the meat and onions (but I didn’t want to pay attention to when to add the potatoes so they didn’t completely dissolve). For one meal, I put Apex Orchards Honey Barbecue Sauce on the meat, for the other I seasoned with salt and pepper. Very tasty! I’m really enjoying Bostrom Farm meat I got at the Winter Fare Farmers Market.

Since Winter Fare, I asked the Winter Fare Soup Café folks for their recipes. Maggie Zaccara from Hope & Olive (and Magpie) in Greenfield made a soup with vegetables from Michael Docter’s farm, Winter Moon Roots in Hadley, and miso from South River Miso in Conway. She calls the soup South River Winter Moon. See below for the recipe.

Stay tuned to future columns for recipes from JD Hairston at The Brass Buckle in Greenfield (Glazed Carrot Soup with Cumin Yogurt and Pepitas), Caroline Pam of The Kitchen Garden Farm in Sunderland and Hadley (Sweet Potato Curry), and Carolann Zaccara (yes, she’s Maggie’s sister!) of The Wagon Wheel in Gill (Pork Stew).

Because of the storm, the Winter Fare local food potlucks in Ashfield and Conway were canceled. Ashfield’s potluck has been rescheduled to Friday, Feb. 15, 6 p.m., Congregational Church, Main St., Ashfield. For information, contact John Hoffman (413) 625-6967 or Holly Wescott (413) 628-4613, wescottha@verizon.net. We’ll reschedule Conway’s potluck soon.

Fourth Annual North Quabbin Food Forum, Saturday, March 2, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (extreme snow date, March 3), Orange Innovation Center, 131 West Main Street, Orange, 3rd Floor (elevator accessible). Seeds of Solidarity Education Center presents day of workshops and conversation uniting North Quabbin residents to gain practical skills and share ideas that nourish our lives, families, and communities. Bring potluck dish or beverage to share for lunch, that doesn’t need to be heated and, if possible, includes a local ingredient. The day will culminate in a Barter Fair. If you wish, bring something you grew, made or produced to trade. Free. Priority to those who live or work in the North Quabbin region. No pre-registration. Capacity limited to 60, first-come basis. Attendees asked to stay whole day. For information, visit www.seedsofsolidarity.org or contact: Deb Habib, deb@seedsofsolidarity.org (978) 544-9023.

This Week We’re Eating

South River Winter Moon

By Maggie Zaccara, Hope & Olive, Greenfield

4 medium Winter Moon carrots, small dice

1 bunch kale, shredded

2 medium Winter Moon turnip, small dice

1 large white onion, small dice

1 bunch celery, small dice

2 T. garlic minced

1 tsp. chili flake

1 T. fennel seed

Vegetable stock

1½ C. South River Chick Pea Miso

Sauté garlic, onion, celery, carrot, and turnip until onions are translucent. Add spices. Cover with vegetable stock. Add kale and simmer until veggies are tender. Add miso right at the end. Stir in. Salt and pepper to taste.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.