Clouds and sun
58°
Clouds and sun
Hi 77° | Lo 50°
Neighbors

Neighbors: Hopefully our last big storm followed by an early spring

Hello neighbor.

I’m going to keep my comments short, because there is so much going on in the county.

Please stay safe today and Saturday.

And remember, now we have only 10 storms to go after this one, and all we need to do is track a cat to count a snowfall as a storm, according to Farrah Pomeroy.

Also, for those of you who didn’t hear, one of the most famous prognosticators in the past 127 years, Punxsutawney Phil, did not see his shadow on Groundhog Day (Feb. 2) in Punxsutawney, Pa., and according to legend, if the darling rodent, also known as a woodchuck or land beaver, sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. But, if he doesn’t, we are supposed to have an early spring.

I think we can squeeze 10 more snowstorms, hopefully most just dustings, into the next four to five weeks.

BOSWELL’S BOOKS AT 10 BRIDGE ST. IN SHELBURNE FALLS will host nationally acclaimed novelist Matthew Dicks on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.

He will be speaking about, and reading from, his three novels.

Best-selling author Jodi Picoult has said it has been a long time since she read a book that captured her so completely like his most recent novel, “Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.”

TURNERS FALLS CHAPTER 181 ORDER OF THE EASTERN STAR will hold its Chocolate Fest on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Harmony Lodge at 20 Masonic Ave. in Turners Falls.

There will be chocolate-dipped strawberries, bananas, cherries and other fruit, as well as chocolate-dipped pretzels, apples, marshmallows and more available for sale.

If you attend, you’ll also be able to partake in the lodge’s chocolate fountain, which will be dripping with decadence.

THE SECOND MONDAY GROUP of Conway United Congregational Church is scheduled to host its third annual Chocolate Delights sale on Saturday from 9:15 to 11:45 a.m.

The sale is to be held at the Conway branch of Greenfield Savings Bank on Route 116.

There will be all sorts of chocolate goodies, and a Valentine’s Day basket drawing and RADA cutlery for sale.

The sale is a fundraiser for the church.

DAKIN PIONEER VALLEY HUMANE SOCIETY is once again celebrating National Adopt-a-Rabbit month on Valentine’s Day at its adoption centers in Leverett and Springfield.

Dakin will host the event with a focus on homeless bunnies.

What makes a bunny a good pet?

They love to play. They are very social. They are easily litter trained. They form close bonds with their human companions. And, most of all, they are off the charts when it comes to cuteness.

This Valentine’s Day, visit Dakin and “Love Somebunny.”

For more information, call Dakin in Leverett at 413-548-9898, in Springfield at 413-781-4000, or visit the nonprofit at: www.dpvhs.org.

SANDY KOSTERMAN AND SUSAN SHARBAUGH are teaching free day and evening exercise classes for people who have osteoporosis, osteopenia or who just want to strengthen their bones.

The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Franklin and Hampshire counties classes are free and open to the public and are held at the YMCA on Main Street in Greenfield on Tuesday and Thursday from 9 to 10 a.m. and 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Susan tells me there is more room in the evening classes.

You do not have to be a YMCA member to join one of these classes. The Y is wheelchair accessible.

You must preregister, so call 413-773-3646, ext. 448 for more information.

GREENFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY WILL HOLD a Dr. Seuss Reading Challenge beginning the week of school vacation (Feb. 19).

Go to the library to sign up for the challenge and read three books in two weeks to get a prize — each child will track their reading until Dr. Seuss’ birthday on March 2.

Children will get a Dr. Seuss bookmark just for signing up, and each child who reads three books, including one Dr. Seuss book, will receive a prize from the kids’ desk at the library.

For more information, contact Kay Lyons at 413-772-1544, ext. 5.

OUR LADY OF PEACE CHURCH in Turners Falls is holding a ziti and meatball dinner on March 2 from 5 to 7 p.m. to benefit Ally Deso and her family.

Ally weighed just a little more than 2 pounds at birth and has struggled with many physical issues since. Ally is a twin. She and her sister Katie were born at 27 weeks and Ally has had to have many surgeries in her short eight years.

The dinner, which is being sponsored by Our Lady of Peace Church religious education classes (grades K through 11), will cost $7 for adults and $4 for children under the age of 12. The menu will include ziti with meatballs, salad, bread, beverage, and apple crisp, and there will be a multi-raffle table.

For more information or to reserve tickets, call 413-863-2585.

What a great opportunity to help one of our younger neighbors. Save the date, and Justin and I will see you there.

IF YOU ENJOY BELLY DANCING, or have ever thought about trying it, join Hadama Seshat (Karen Traub) at Shutesbury Athletic Club beginning March 3 from 2 to 3 p.m. The cost is $5 to $10 per Belly Dance for Fun and Fitness class. Classes will be held weekly there.

For more information, contact Hadama at: hadama@hadamadance.com.

By the way, I have taken classes with Karen, group and private, and have enjoyed them immensely. I may not be able to make it to class every week, but I’m sure I’ll see you there some weeks.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to: anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com o r call 413-772-0261, ext. 280 or call her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach Anita on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com up to noon on the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.