Rain and snow
36°
Rain and snow
Hi 37° | Lo 25°

Neighbors: Time to introduce yourself to your fellow neighbors

Hello neighbor.

I’ve spent the last couple of months telling you about myself and talking about my friends and family.

Now it’s your turn.

Who are you? What are some of your accomplishments? What are some of your loved ones’ accomplishments? What do you like to do here in Franklin County in your spare time?

Call or write me and tell me about yourself and what you’ve done or do here in the county and beyond — this is going to be a good way for all of us to get to know each other.

For instance, our neighbors in Shelburne, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Butler, sent me a note telling me that their daughter Judith A. Driscoll has been promoted to the rank of colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve.

Now Col. Driscoll, she is a 1979 graduate of Mohawk Trail Regional High School and New England College of Optometry in Boston.

She joined the Army Reserve in 1999 and has since held active and reserve assignments in Virginia, Washington, D.C., New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and is currently serving in Texas.

There are so many of you out there doing wonderful things or realizing your dreams — please share.

By the way, there will be a full moon on Dec. 28. This month the full moon is called the Full Long Nights Moon because nights are the longest now.

Also, a reminder from Linda Tyler of the Greenfield Garden Club that the winter solstice will arrive Dec. 21, bringing the shortest day of the year.

The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts that the average temperature will be 26.5 degrees and we will be seeing 4 inches of precipitation this month — if that happens, it will help local prognosticator Farrah Pomeroy with her prediction of 23 snowfalls this winter.

The Greenfield Garden Club also gives a couple of tips for caring for your Christmas trees and poinsettias this season.

To keep your tree in good condition throughout the holidays spray it with a product called WiltProof, which members say will keep the needles on the tree.

As for your poinsettias, place them in the brightest window but don’t allow their leaves to touch the glass. Wait until their soil is dry to the touch before watering them and allow the water to drain through the bottom of the pot.

To keep them in bloom, temperatures should be between 65 and 70 degrees — 60 degrees at night, but no colder.

Now to what’s going on:

THE GREENFIELD COMMUNITY CHORUS will perform its winter concert on Saturday from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Second Congregational Church, 16 Court Square in Greenfield.

The chorus will sing songs of darkness and light to celebrate the season and will have accompaniments on piano, bass, percussion and fiddle by Fireseed.

The price is $5 to $10 (sliding fee) for adults and half price for children.

For more information, contact Crystalline Ruby Muse at 413-339-4299 or crystallineruby@yahoo.com

Also visit: www.greenfieldcommunitychorus.com.

THE PARENTS OF PIONEER VALLEY REGIONAL SCHOOL band members will hold a spaghetti supper tonight from 5 to 6:30 at the school to raise money for the marching band’s trip to Boston in January. The band will perform during halftime at a Boston Celtics game.

Tickets for the spaghetti dinner, which will include spaghetti and sauce, salad, Italian bread and juice, will be $10 for adults and $5 for children. A family of four will cost $25.

The Bernardston Kiwanis Club has agreed to donate money to purchase the food for the supper.

THE HURRICANE SANDY CHILDREN’S BOOK DRIVE I told you about a week ago is sending all of the books it collects to New York and New Jersey. The Greenfield Public Library is now collecting books for the drive.

2ND STREET BAKING COMPANY on Fourth Street in Turners Falls will host an Affordable Farms Benefit on Saturday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Ten percent of that day’s proceeds will be donated to the Campaign for Affordable Farms-Red Fire Farm Campaign.

OUR NEIGHBOR GINNY GRAY wanted me to tell you that she is a volunteer with Heifer International, a nonprofit that donates livestock to families around the world, and she’d like to remind you that donating to Heifer in someone else’s name makes a great holiday gift.

For more information, contact Ginny at 413-325-8386 or visit Heifer International at: www.heifer.org.

NATIONALLY KNOWN COMPOSER ALICE PARKER will hold her annual Christmas Carol Sing on Dec. 30 at 3 p.m. in the Federated Church on Route 2 in Charlemont.

The event is free and open to the public. All are welcome and are asked to bring cookies to share.

ATHOL BIRD AND NATURE CLUB will hold its annual Christmas Bird Count all day on Saturday.

The “Citizen Science” project, the longest continuously running bird data collection in the area, counts all day and gathers birdwatchers together at night for a potluck dinner as the count is tallied.

Team leaders and participants will meet at the Millers River Environmental Center, 100 Main St. in Athol, between 6 and 7 a.m. and hit the field by 7 or shortly after.

Coffee and potluck breakfast treats will be available.

For more information about the event, write David Small at dave@dhsmall.net.

I participated in an area Christmas bird count a few years ago — I did a story for The Recorder.

I met up with a couple of men at 10 p.m. in Hadley and drove around with them, getting out of the truck quite often, to count owls until 6 a.m. After a quick breakfast at the Route 9 Diner, I met up with two other men in Sunderland to count all other types of birds.

I really enjoyed myself. It was bitterly cold and there was about two feet of freshly fallen snow on the ground, so my hands and feet weren’t very appreciative, but it was amazing to watch an owl fly in and land in a tree above — and that happened several times that night.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

THE MONTAGUE ELKS HOOP SHOOT will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. in the Turners Falls High School gymnasium.

The free event is for girls and boys ages 8 through 13. Registration will begin at 9 a.m.

For more information, call John at 413-423-3398.

THE BAYSTATE FRANKLIN MEDICAL CENTER AUXILIARY is holding a holiday raffle with the first prize being a Kindle HD Fire, second, Bob Marley headphones, third, a Keurig coffee maker, and fourth, an original stone necklace designed by Rosemary Caine.

Chances for the raffle are one for $2, three for $5, and 12 for $10. The drawing will be Dec. 20 at noon in the hospital Gift Shop.

Stop by the Gift Shop for raffle tickets and for a list of those who donated items.

SOUTH DEERFIELD WOMEN’S CLUB will present “Winter Wonderland,” a New Year’s Eve party and dance on Dec. 31 from 8 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. at the South Deerfield Polish American Citizen’s Club.

Tickets are $20 per person and are available at the Polish American Citizen’s Club, Jerry’s Place, and the Greenfield Savings Bank South Deerfield branch.

Everyone is welcome for an evening of dancing, food, prizes and fun.

Also, call Diane Grybko at 413-665-7760.

GET YOUR HOLIDAY SHOPPING DONE and help the Greenfield Public Library at the same time.

There are cotton aprons in a variety of colors, leather and cloth caps in a variety of colors, and Envirosax bags, which fold to an inch and shake out to a strong, fashionable tote, all available for purchase at the library’s front desk.

Aprons are $12, caps are $15 and bags are $8 each or two for $15.

OUR VERY OWN GREENFIELD COMMUNITY COLLEGE recently appeared on the online site: www.bestcollegesonline.com, which listed GCC as one of “15 colleges fighting world hunger.”

Abrah Dresdale, coordinator of the Farm and Food Systems degree option at the college, said she sees it as “quite an honor” to be in the spotlight for doing anti-hunger work through the farm and food systems.

“It’s just really exciting to have national coverage alongside Harvard and Middlebury and Auburn,” she said. “It was completely unexpected.”

The Web site has between 80,000 and 90,000 visitors each month. Readership includes students between the ages of 18 and 35, who are looking for an alternative way to pursue a college education, get college-related advice or get information regarding all other things higher education.

THE GREENFIELD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION is still looking for support for its Holiday Lights Program.

It is too late to sponsor a star among the downtown street decorations this year, but the association would be willing to talk with anyone about sponsoring one next year.

As for helping out this year, there are donation canisters in Baker’s Office Supply, Brad’s Place, the Brass Buckle, Green Fields Market, Greenfield Cooperative Bank, Greenfield Savings Bank, Greenfield Garden Cinemas, Magical Child, People’s United Bank, and Wilson’ Department Store.

You may also make a check out and send it to Greenfield Business Association, 395 Main St., Greenfield, MA 01301 or you may deliver cash to the association.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or 413-772-0261 ext. 280 or her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach her on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.