A shower
58°
A shower
Hi 73° | Lo 59°

Neighbors: November one of my favorite months

Hello neighbor.

Well, we’re already halfway through November — one of my favorite months.

The air is crisp, the snow typically hasn’t fallen yet — and if it has, it has melted — and people are in good moods because the holiday crunch hasn’t hit yet.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, because spending time with family is more important to me than anything and this year Justin, Travis and Owen will join the fun. I can’t wait!.

But back to November — I did learn a few interesting facts about the month while reading this month’s Greenfield Garden Club newsletter and I’d like to share them with you.

The Old Farmers Almanac is predicting the average temperature to be 35 degrees and total precipitation for the month to be 3 inches.

November’s full moon, also known as the Full Beaver Moon, will arrive on the 28th. It is called the Full Beaver Moon because colonists and the Algonquin tribes knew it was time to set traps each November before the swamps froze so they would have fur before winter set in.

Some also refer to the November full moon as the Frost Moon.

And then, what is November without turkey?

Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey our national bird?

Turkeys are only native to America and got their name by a case of mistaken identity — the first Europeans thought that the American turkey was the same bird they had in Europe, which originated in Africa and was brought to Europe through Turkey. Hence, the name turkey, and once referred to that way, the name stuck with the native bird.

So, there you go. Thanks to the research done by Linda Tyler of the Greenfield Garden Club, we all learned a little something today.

YOU ALL KNOW BY NOW that one of my favorite places in the world is the Quabbin Reservoir.

Well, local author J.R. Greene, who writes extensively about the Quabbin, its trails, and the people who used to live there in his 12 books, has published the 2013 Quabbin History Calendar.

The calendar, the 28th edition, is illustrated with 12 new scenes of valley towns that were flooded to create the Quabbin Reservior.

The calendar is $14.95. There will be one hanging in my kitchen throughout 2013.

For more information about ordering a calendar, or any of J.R.’s books, contact local booksellers or write the author directly at: J.R. Greene, 26 Bearsden Road, Athol, MA 01331-3402.

BY THE WAY, I TOLD YOU LAST WEEK that Mary Reilly Parsons organized the drive to get items from Blessed Sacrament Church to victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Mary, who is a member of Holy Trinity Church, wanted everyone to know that the idea for the drive actually came from parishioners of Blessed Sacrament. She said she just passed on the information she received from Deacon John Leary.

Mary said the drive was a “huge success.”

TRINITY CHURCH will hold its annual Thanksgiving Bake Sale on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon in front of Keystone Market on Bridge Street in Shelburne Falls. The sale is sponsored by the Women of Trinity Church.

Proceeds from the sale will benefit the church’s outreach projects.

THERE WILL BE A WRITING WORKSHOP held at Nasami Farm in Whately on Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon.

Discover your “sense of place” stories will be worked on and writers will learn Erica Wheeler’s three-part writing process, which connects each writer’s “inner and outer landscapes.”

The workshops is being touted as something that will be used for both personal and professional work.

The fee is $25 for New England Wild Flower Society members and $30 for nonmembers.

Preregistration is required online or by calling 508-877-7630, ext 3303.

For more information, visit: www.newenglandwild.org.

THE SEEDS OF NOURISHMENT, an ongoing drop-in support group meeting at NELCWIT, is offering a free drum-building workshop next Monday from 4 to 6 p.m.

The group will meet at 479 Main St. in Greenfield and is limited to 15 people.

To reserve a seat, please call 413-772-0871, ext 104.

THE MONTAGUE ELKS LODGE #2521 will hold its annual Night Before Thanksgiving Dinner on Nov. 21 at 7 p.m.

The Elks will serve spaghetti, baked chicken and tossed salad.

The meal is open to members, guests and the public and is $6 per person in advance or $7 at the door.

For more information or to reserve tickets, call 413-863-2521 or contact Exalted Ruler Donald Traceski at 413-423-3436.

THE SHELBURNE FALLS VFW will hold an eight-ball pool tournament fundraiser for “wounded warriers” on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

David Kearney and Steve “Stogie” Scott, the organizers, said the event is open to the public — even to people who don’t play pool.

A $10 donation to play is requested and there will be prizes for winners.

For more information, call David at 413-625-9792.

TRAIL TOC DINER ON ROUTE 2 IN SHELBURNE FALLS is holding a food drive at the diner to help the Salvation Army Food Bank on Chapman Street in Greenfield.

People may drop off food at the diner and may also give donations of money.

Trail TOC is offering $2 off any meal with a donation.

The next time you eat at the diner, think about those of our neighbors who are hungry and give what you can.

THE REGIONAL DOG CONTROL AND ADOPTION CENTER on Sandy Lane in Turners Falls wants me to remind you that the center is a 12-town shelter and people searching for their lost dogs should call or visit.

For more information, call 413-676-9182. Leslie Colucci is the animal officer who runs the shelter.

THE YMCA RELAY FOR LIFE TEAM is holding a fundraiser at Fran’s Designer Outlet on Main Street in Greenfield on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m.

Refreshments will be served and the relay team will receive 25 percent of the total sales during those two hours.

For more information, call Mariellen Hayre at 413-773-3646, ext 415.

FINALLY, I AM ASKING ALL OF YOU to contact me with interesting stories about some of your neighbors. I know you all enjoy the listings, but I’d love to tell you more about the people who live in this wonderful community and some of the great things they are doing. So please contact me.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or 413-772-0261 ext. 280 or her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach her on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com by noon on the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.