M/cloudy
55°
M/cloudy
Hi 62° | Lo 46°

Check out a local event that supports a good cause

Hello neighbor.

Some of the items in this week’s “Neighbors” got me thinking about a lot of different things — I think too much, my children constantly remind me, but especially this time of year.

First, look through some of the events happening. So many are being held to support a good cause and I’ll bet you can find at least one or two you’d like to attend.

There are people out there working hard for their libraries. Others working for people they don’t even know. And there are people who would just like you to get out on Monday and show a little support for veterans.

This time of year it’s easy to get caught up in ourselves and our own families — there’s shopping to be done and dinners and parties to plan.

But this year, take some time for someone else.

We’ve been very lucky here in Franklin County. Hurricane Sandy and the recent pre-winter storm pretty much skipped over us.

But, others weren’t so lucky and just because they don’t live here in our neighborhood doesn’t mean we shouldn’t care.

There were also quite a few requests this week, which had nothing to do with holding an upcoming event.

There are people looking for their missing dogs — anyone who knows me and how much I love animals will know that I think it is important for all of us to watch out for each other and our pets.

Keep your eyes and ears open. If you see a dog or cat that seems to be wandering and you haven’t seen them in your neighborhood before, call your local animal control officer or police. Please don’t try to approach an animal yourself, because you never know what their temperament is or how scared they might be.

It is devastating to a family to lose its pet, because a pet truly is a member of the family.

Then, a man named Sterling Clark, who is looking for relatives of a woman born in 1903, got me thinking about people in my past — Where are they? What are they doing now? Where have their lives taken them?

If you’ve lost track of someone who was once very special in your life, try to find them and reconnect. It really, really is the people in our lives who make it all worthwhile.

Finally, one of our neighbors here in Greenfield is turning 100 in a little over a week.

Think about the stories she must have. Think about all of the things she must have seen over the past century and what she might have to share.

Visit one of our local nursing homes or homes for the elderly or volunteer at your local senior center and make a new friend.

I can tell you that I have interviewed many of our seniors and they have some great stories — all you have to do is ask.

So, take care and have a wonderful weekend. See you Tuesday.

THE FRIENDS OF GREENFIELD PUBLIC LIBRARY is holding its annual Friends Fall Event on Saturday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Stoneleigh Burnham School on Bernardston Road in Greenfield.

The event will include an auction of local items, a beer and wine reception with appetizers, and good company gathered for a good cause — library programs and services.

So join your neighbors on Saturday. Tickets are $20 and that includes admission and refreshments.

A FED-EX TRUCK WILL BE AT BLESSED SACRAMENT CHURCH in Greenfield this afternoon from 4 to 5 to pick up supplies for our neighbors outside of Franklin County who were affected by Hurricane Sandy.

Mary Reilly Parsons, a member of the church and organizer of the drive, told me that because so many of our neighbors in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey need our help, the church wanted to do something.

Volunteers plan to fill a donated Fed-Ex truck with food, water, clothes, toiletries, diapers, and anything else you might think of needing if you were in that situation. The truck will head for Long Island, N.Y., at 5 p.m. today, so please make sure you get your items to the parking lot behind Blessed Sacrament Church on Federal Street.

DON’T FORGET THAT TWO VETERANS WILL BE HONORED in Deerfield today.

Pfc. Walter J. Brzozowski, who served in the Marine Corps, and Capt. J. Kenneth Warger, who served in the Air Force, will be remembered with the unveiling of signs, which will sit above the street signs of the streets they once lived on.

Both ceremonies will take place in Town Hall — Brzozowski’s at 2:30 p.m. and Warger’s at 3:30 p.m.

It has been requested that the Deerfield High School Class of 1948 attend the ceremony for Warger.

SGT. RICHARD L. KINNER, who is commander of American Legion Post 81 in Greenfield, asked me to remind people that Greenfield will hold its Veterans Day Parade on Monday at 10 a.m. from the middle school on Federal Street and that people should try to make it to the memorial service at Veterans Mall on Main Street after the parade, which will make its way up Federal and down Main before turning around and stopping at the mall.

The sergeant would like you all to take a moment to check out the bronze serpentine wall that contains the plaques bearing names of Greenfield men and women who gave their lives in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam War.

“Say a prayer for them before you leave,” he said.

THE GREENFIELD HIGH SCHOOL MUSIC DEPARTMENT has begun its annual poinsettia sale, which will help fund many educational activities and will provide needed supplies for the GHS band and chorus.

All deliveries of the poinsettias, which are supplied by Five Acre Farm Greenhouses in Northfield, will be made on Nov. 30 in the afternoon.

Orders must be received by Nov 14.

For more information and for prices, call 413-774-6707 or email Deena Ferguson at: deenaferguson@comcast.net.

DAKIN HUMANE SOCIETY is offering a cat behavior workshop on Saturday from 1 to 4:30 p.m. in its Springfield facility.

The workshop will consist of three mini seminars, and people can register for one or all three.

Dakin will discuss litter box issues, “crazy kittens” that have high energy and get into everything, and a “claws and paws” session, which will teach you how to introduce your kitten to your dog.

I really should bring my kitten, Lois, a crazy kitten with tons of energy, to the “crazy kitten” workshop. I’d love to learn how to settle her down — she drives me and her mom, Murphy, crazy at times.

For more information, contact Dakin at 413-781-4000, ext. 129 or visit: www.dpvhs.org.

AMERICAN LEGION POST 81 off of Wells Street in Greenfield is holding its Fall Harvest Fling on Saturday from 7 to 11 p.m.

There will be a boiled dinner at 6 p.m. and Rachel and the Western Partners Band will provide music.

The cost is $12 per person. Walk-ins after 7 p.m. will be asked for $5. Take-out meals will be available for $8.

To reserve a ticket, call 413-772-0857.

BERNARDSTON SENIOR CENTER WILL HOST a new series, “Growing Stronger through Change and Loss.”

The series will run five Wednesdays (Nov. 14 and 28, Dec. 12, and Jan. 9 and 16) from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. at the center.

The program will be led by Winnie Ganshaw, a spiritual counselor with Hospice of Franklin County.

Registration is not required, but for more information, call 413-648-5413.

NELCWIT WILL HOLD ITS FALL GATHERING to honor community allies in violence prevention and healing and will share information about innovative prevention and social change initiatives on Wednesday from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Deerfield Community Center, 16 Memorial Drive in Old Deerfield.

For more information about the event, call 413-772-0871 or visit: www.nelcwit.org.

ST. JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCH at Federal and Church streets in Greenfield will hold a Mistletoe Mart and Craft Faire on Nov. 17 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The event will include items from local crafters, lunch and raffles, including one for a quilt.

OUR NEIGHBOR PAT KISLOSKI called me and asked that you all keep your eyes open for a couple of dogs that have gone missing.

The first is Taco, a 6-year-old male beagle mix who weighs about 50 pounds. He went missing on Sept. 4 from Gill while his family was out of town with a sick child.

There is a reward for Taco’s return. Please call 503-957-2430 with any information — Taco is not familiar with this area.

The other dog is a Brittany spaniel named Tic, who is shy and frightened. His family just moved to the area, and he ran off chasing a deer. He is orange and white with brown markings. Tic is a hunting dog.

There is also a reward offered for his return. Please call 413-367-2825 if you think you’ve seen him.

STERLING E. CLARK OF MONTAGUE CENTER asked me to ask if you knew Mabel Jane Clark, who was born June 21, 1903. She was married to Thomas E. Dowling on June 25, 1925, in Springfield. Sterling is looking to contact Mabel’s relatives. He believes some could be living in Sunderland.

If you know someone who knew Mabel, please contact Sterling at: route47@crocker.com.

OUR DEAR NEIGHBOR KATHRYN PATTERSON will turn 100 years old on Nov. 18.

Her niece, Arlene Thorndike, said Kathryn has lived at the Weldon House on High Street in Greenfield for the past three years and her first 97 years in Colrain, where she was born and raised.

Kathryn, who is legally blind, must use a walker, and is hard of hearing, but is still self sufficient, according to Arlene.

She worked until she was 78 years old and has two nieces and three nephews who visit her.

Sadly, her son died of cancer several years ago. A mother should never have to endure that.

“She saw some hard times,” said her niece.

Arlene said her aunt, whose favorite dessert is doughnuts, told her you should “always eat dessert first.”

She said Kathryn loves to get a hot dog with relish and mustard at Tom’s Long Dogs in Whately every six weeks when she goes to Springfield for a doctor’s appointment.

Kathryn loves to sit in the lobby at the Weldon and visit with friends.

Have a very happy birthday, Kathryn.

To contact Anita Fritz, a staff reporter at The Recorder, send an email to anita.alice.fritz@gmail.com or 413-772-0261 ext. 280 or her cell at 413-388-6950. You can also reach her on Facebook at Anita’s Neighbors. Information to be included in Neighbors may also be sent to: neighbors@recorder.com the day before you want it to run.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.