P/sunny
63°
P/sunny
Hi 64° | Lo 44°
Savoring the Seasons

Savoring the Seasons: Cooking as art with found objects

By MARY MCCLINTOCK

When I think about Hope & Olive chef Maggie Zaccara’s work just before the Free Harvest Supper, I think about “art with found objects.”

Before the supper, Maggie has some idea of what she’s going to create to feed 1,000 people, but she doesn’t know what she’ll have to work with until the day or two before the event. Then, she walks into the basement of Hope & Olive, looks around at the mountain of boxes/bins/buckets of food donated by over 50 area farmers and food producers, sorts out what she has, and plans her menu.

Here’s some of the art Maggie and her crew of chefs and helpers created with what she found last year: Curried Chicken Salad with Paneer, Lamb & Pepper Tagine, Honey Glazed Carrots, Roast Squash, Egg Salad, Melon & Tomatoes with Herbs, Cucumber & Yogurt with Mint, Turkey & Peach Salad, Kapusta, Potatoes & Pesto, Eggplant, Peppers & Tomatoes, Braised Greens, Shiitake Cabbage, Corn & Butter, and Salad Greens & Dressing.

Is your mouth watering? Mine sure is!

Again this year, I’m pulling together the whole Recorder Food Page for the Wednesday before the Free Harvest Supper. Along with supper information, the page will feature many recipes, including past Free Harvest Supper favorites and suggestions for what to do with food you bring home from the Really, Really Free Market at the supper.

What’s your favorite Free Harvest Supper dish? What are your favorite recipes that feature late summer produce? Please email me at mmcclinto@yahoo.com or call me at 413-522-5932 and I’ll include the recipe on the Aug. 13 food page or in a later food column.

Want to help gather that food for Maggie’s crew to prepare? The Free Harvest Supper organizers are seeking another food coordinator to help with soliciting food from local farmers. The organizers also need help lining up entertainment for the supper and MANY volunteers to help on the day of the supper. To volunteer, call 413-773-5029 or email info@freeharvestsupper.org. Visit www.freeharvestsupper.org to see the GREAT Free Harvest Supper video created by GCTV.

What art do you create with summer produce from your garden, CSA farm share, or local farmers market? In 2009, then-Free Harvest Supper organizer Melinda Baughman shared the recipe below when I asked for suggestions of what to make with produce from the Really, Really Free Market.

Greenfield Farmers Market 40th Anniversary Celebration, Saturday, July 19, 10 a.m., Court Square/Greenfield Town Common. Join market vendors, meet three or more founding farmers (including Tom Clark, Rich Pascale, Juanita Nelson) and previous market managers. Mayor Bill Martin will present a proclamation. Everyone encouraged to note your favorite market memory on posters and add early photos to a bulletin board. Enjoy anniversary cake donated by Green Fields Market. For information, contact Devon at devonwd@gmail.com.

This week we’re eating ...

MELINDA’S GAZPACHO

By Melinda Baughman, Greenfield

Gazpacho is my favorite summer food. The ingredients I include in this cold soup reflect what is in my kitchen or garden at the time I make it. This recipe is flexible, but I always include the carrot, tomatoes, onion, oil and vinegar. All ingredients are approximate.

3 medium tomatoes

1 small cucumber, washed, seeded

1 scallion, white and green parts

1 to 1.5 garlic scapes or 1 small garlic clove

1 carrot, scrubbed

Heels of whole wheat sourdough bread. Approx. 1 - 2 slices.

2 T. extra virgin olive oil

Red wine vinegar to taste: 1 tsp. to 1 T.

Water to bring to desired consistency. Start with 1/2 C.

Handful cilantro

Dash salt & pepper

All ingredients should be coarsely chopped. Add to blender or food processor and blend to desired consistency, adding more water if you want a thinner soup. Serve and enjoy.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.