M/cloudy
61°
M/cloudy
Hi 64° | Lo 46°

Lynette Baker Varnon poem: “I RUB HER BACK IN CIRCLES UNTIL SHE FALLS ASLEEP”

“I Rub Her Back in Circles until She Falls Asleep” I rub circles on her back. The sun. October’s orange moon. O’s, an ocarina’s song. The full mouth of the opera singer, her aria. I rub bursting summer poppies on her back; Mylar balloons and biscuits. Apples before we make the sauce. The tires of my silver car she can recognize in a full parking lot. I rub the droplets of mist in the clouds we flew above in that blue plane, the fiery berries we throw in the water fountain, the docile ladybug she met in a story book, the very molecules of our joint being and belief. I rub the earth, its mysteries; the face of the clock that comes to mean little more than seasons passing. On her back, I rub circles. Her eyes, their intricate cities. I rub her back until she falls asleep.

— Lynette Baker Varnon

Related

The Poets of Franklin County: Lynette Baker Varnon

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Because she has two young children and a full-time job as a high school English teacher, Lynette Baker Varnon often writes at night. Not surprisingly, her poems often take place at night, too. Varnon’s poem, “I Rub Her Back in Circles until She Falls Asleep,” which placed second in the Poet’s Seat Poetry Contest last year, describes the ritual of … 0

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.