Clouds and sun
Clouds and sun
Hi 14° | Lo -10°

Red Raiders lose heartbreaker, 1-0

A questionable call in double-overtime did in the Athol High School girls’ soccer team Sunday afternoon, as Claire Douglass scored on the ensuing penalty kick to send Easthampton High School home with a 1-0 victory in the first round of the WMass Division II Girls’ Soccer Tournament at Nonotuck Park in Easthampton.

The call came two minutes into the second overtime, when a cross from the left side of the field was played into the Red Raiders’ defensive box. According to Athol coach Tim Cleveland, an Athol defender and Easthampton attacker both went up for the ball and collided, but it was the Red Raider defender that was whistled for a foul, sending Douglass to the line for a penalty shot, which she buried to send the eighth-seeded Eagles (10-4-2) off to the quarterfinals against Belchertown High School.

“The official made the call and he’ll stand by it every day, but my feeling is that you just don’t make that call in that situation,” Cleveland said. “I think we would have fared pretty well had we gotten through the next five minutes. It was a great game up until that deciding factor.”

Madison Truehart finished with 18 saves in goal for the ninth-seeded Red Raiders (9-5-5) during regulation, but had to leave due to a concussion. Nicole Guerin made four saves in relief in the two overtime periods. Alyssa Fugiel stopped eight shots for Easthampton.

Cathedral 2, Mahar 0 — Hannah Porter scored a pair of second-half goals to lead Cathedral High School to a 2-0 victory over Mahar Regional School in a WMass Division II Girls’ Soccer Tournament game Sunday at Lusitano Stadium in Ludlow.

Porter scored 10 minutes into the second half to break the scoreless tie, and then added a second with 14 minutes left in the game on an assist from Sarah Rooke. Seventh-seeded Cathedral (3-13-2) outshot the Senators 25-6 and Panther goalie Gina Russo made five saves to earn the shutout.

Mickey Boatwright had a strong effort in net for the 10th-seeded Senators (9-7-3) and finished with 15 saves to keep the game close.

“I’m very proud of the girls,” Mahar coach Chad Softic said. “We took their best shots early, and then we took the game from them for a bit, but we couldn’t finish our couple of chances. Boatwright was fantastic in net.”

Kelsie Bardsley had a chance to score for Mahar in the first half, and Mackenzie Tenney got another chance from five yards out following a corner kick with 10 minutes left in the game.

St. Joseph’s 2, FC Tech 1 — Franklin County Technical School gave St. Joseph’s Central High School all it could handle on Sunday, but the eighth-seeded Crusaders held on for a 2-1 win in the WMass Division III Girls’ Soccer Tournament first- round game in Pittsfield.

Olivia Muzzeo put the Crusaders (8-7-3) up 1-0 nine minutes into the game when some miscommunication in the Eagles’ backfield left her wide open for a cross from Bailey Binett, and Muzzeo buried it into an empty net.

The score remained 1-0 through halftime and five minutes into the second half St. Joseph’s was awarded a direct kick from 30 yards out. Keegan McCauley hit a dipping shot that found its way just under the crossbar for a 2-0 lead.

The ninth-seeded Eagles (8-7-4) got one goal back with four minutes left in the game, when Skyler Clark-Williams picked up a loose ball after a scramble in front of the net and booted it past St. Joseph’s goalie Kendall Smith (two saves).

Brooke Meuse finished with 11 saves in the Franklin Tech net.

“We really worked well together today,” Eagle coach Jenna Carme said. “The girls did a great, all-around job against a tough team.”

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.