Hi 16° | Lo -11°

Local boys get knocked out

It was a short MIAA All-State Wrestling Tournament for local grapplers.

Only two of the four wrestlers who qualified from the area wound up participating in the meet, which began Friday at noon at Salem High School, and both, Athol High School’s Christian Currier and Franklin County Technical School’s Josh Lacosse, went 0-2 on the day, leaving the area with no Day 2 representation at the meet today.

Currier opened his match at 220 pounds against Central High School’s Kamron Anderson, the third-place finisher at the Division I meet on Wednesday. Anderson scored the match’s opening take-down for two points, but Currier earned an escape to cut the deficit to 2-1 after the opening two minutes. Anderson took control of the bout in the second period, when he chose to start in the bottom position. Anderson picked up an escape and followed that up with his second take-down of the match to pull ahead 5-1 after two periods. Currier made things interesting in the third period, when he chose to start on the bottom and scored a reversal to cut the deficit to 5-3, but Anderson earned a penalty point later in the match to take a 6-3 win.

That sent Currier to the consolation bracket, where his first opponent was Mike Weza from Lowell High School, the sixth-place finisher at the Division I meet. Weza picked up a take-down in the first period for a 2-0 lead and increased it to 5-0 in the third period before Currier scored a late escape to avoid the shutout in a 5-1 loss, which sent him home.

Three Franklin Tech wrestlers qualified for the event, but David Weed (145 pounds) and Kyle Laffey (152) were unable to compete due to injuries suffered at Wednesday’s Division III state meet. That left Josh Lacosse as the lone participating Eagle wrestler and he wound up going 0-2 on what became elimination day.

Lacosse, the fifth-place finisher at 120 pounds at the Division III States, opened up against North Andover High School’s Dan Villalba, who was the seventh-place finisher in Division II and was only taking part in the tournament as an injury fill-in. While it turned out to be a more favorable draw than the alternative for Lacosse (which would have been to face a higher-ranked wrestler), the result did not go in his favor. Villabla scored a reversal in the second period to score the only two points and beat Lacosse, 2-0. That sent Lacosse to the consolation bracket, where he faced Agawam High School’s Connor Liebel, the sixth-place finisher at the Division I meet. Liebel scored a take-down in the first period for two points, then tallied an escape and another take-down in the second for a 5-0 lead, which is how it ended following a scoreless third period.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.