Tognarelli beats Ashfield, 9-4
Jared Ackerman, Nate Cominskey, Jonathan LeClaire and Caileb Milion each had two hits on Saturday to lead Tognarelli Heating and Cooling to a 9-4 win over Ashfield during Opening Day of the Franklin County Babe Ruth Baseball League.
LeClaire earned the win, while Ackerman picked up the save.
Jared Taylor went 2-for-3 for Ashfield, and Riley Dupree suffered the loss.
• In other action, Danny Szafron doubled and helped himself pick up the win as Marmac Concrete defeated Ashfield, 11-9.
Ben Sherman went 2-for-3 with a home run in the win, and Luke Viens went 2-for-4. Torsten Sloan-Anderson picked up the save.
Dakota Deane went 2-for-4 for Ashfield, while Avery Miraglia suffered the loss.
• Also Saturday, Brian Zamojski finished with two hits and two RBIs as Turners Falls Athletic Club edged Tognarelli, 4-3.
Eli Nicholson had two hits and one RBI in the win. Tanner Jones, Mike Menard and Zach Avery each pitched well in the win.
• Meanwhile, George Balis doubled and drove in two runs to lead TFAC to a 6-1 win over Akey Insurance.
Nicholson had two hits and one RBI in the win, and Sam Barnes and Avery each drove in a run. Balis, Avery and Jones each pitched well for the win.
Bailey Young and Graham Pezzati each had two hits Saturday to lead Montague Elks Lodge to a 12-2 win over Booska’s Flooring in a Newt Guilbault Community League baseball game at Gamelin Field in Turners Falls.
Max Leh tripled in the win, Glen Sumner doubled, and Jake Sak singled. Young earned the win with a strong pitching performance.
Chase Novak suffered the loss and finished with two hits for Booska’s. Joey Mosca and Dominic Smith each had one hit in the loss.
• Also Saturday, Connor Waitkus recorded two hits and three RBIs to lead Pipione’s Sport Shop to a 9-6 win over Montague Elks.
The Elks later earned a forfeit victory due to a pitching violation.
Andy Craver went 2-for-4 with two RBIs for Pipione’s, and Justin Dobias went 4-for-5 with an RBI.
Sumner doubled as part of a two-hit day, Young doubled, and Trevor Lapinski added a hit.
• In other action, Michael Patnode hit a solo home run as part of a two-hit performance and Greenfield Savings Bank edged St. Kazimierz Society, 8-5.
Jack Putala belted a three-run home run in the win, and Jaden Whiting and Jack Hamilton each had two hits.
Taylor Murphy had two hits in the loss, and Kyle Brunelle and David Carey each added singles.
• Also, Putala had three hits including a grand slam and five RBIs to lead GSB to a 18-3 win over Booska’s.
Ryan Grace added two hits in the win.
Dalton Henderson, Marcus Sanders, Nick Lyons and Reid Pollock each had a hit in the loss.
Brody Baird hit a two-out, two-run single in the top of the sixth inning as Smitty’s Pub completed a comeback from two runs down to take a 9-7 win over New Fortune Restaurant in a Greenfield Minor League Major Division baseball game Saturday at Lunt Field in Greenfield.
Smitty’s trailed 7-5 entering the sixth but scored four times in the sixth to win the game. Colby Avery struck out five and earned the win, Sam Smith added two hits and three runs, and Colin Brechenser doubled and drove in two runs.
Kyle Devlin singled, doubled and plated a pair of runs for New Fortune, Zach Martineau hit a two-run single, Anthony Holmes doubled, and Keith Broussard struck out six.
• Meanwhile, Ryan Cote went 2-for-2 and scored a pair of runs to lead Greenfield Elks Lodge to a 4-2 win over Denny’s Pantry.
Troy Emond went 1-for-2 with one RBI in the win, Anthony Herd doubled and drove in a run, and Jared Hart and Jake Cote each had one hit. Hart earned the win on the mound, and Zach Renaud picked up the save.
Nathan Sciandra, Dhar Newcomb and Evan Leaf pitched well in the loss. Julian Trenholm had two hits for Denny’s, while Jack Loud, Peter Loud and Sciandra each had one hit.
• Also, Tucker Scott struck out eight as Gilmore & Farrell Insurance bested Maniatty Real Estate, 12-4.
Aaron Burstein and Hunter Roberts each threw one inning of relief. Scott had one hit and two RBIs, Jacob Bryant added three hits, Joe Monkiewicz had two hits, and Tony Benedetti and Ben Yu each had one hit and one RBI.
Jared Hubbard, Devin O’Sullivan and Austin Wrisley combined to strike out 11 in the loss. Hubbard had two hits, and Wrisley had one hit and one RBI.
• In AAA Division action, Brendan Moorehouse finished with three hits, including a double, and D & D Drywall knocked off Aubuchon Hardware, 14-4.
Marcus Paulin Jr. and Vincent Arce each doubled for the winners, and Michael Zager, Drew Conant and Dylar Mahar each had two hits. Conant and Zager combined on a one-hitter for the win.
Luke Timberlake had the lone hit in the loss. Maverick Ward, Ezra Christi and Alex Sulda each pitched well for Aubuchon.
• In other AAA play, Gillis MacDougall and TJ Thibeault combined to strike out 13 as Tognarelli edged Rotary, 5-3.
MacDougall walked four and did not allow a hit in three innings to pick up the win, while Thibeault allowed four hit and no walks in three innings to earn the save.
Thibeault singled and doubled for Tognarelli, Ryan Pulizari doubled, and Aiden Fulton, MacDougall and Derek Lenois each had one hit.
Casey Hoffman and Tyler Podolski combined to strike out 12 in the loss. Joey White hit an inside-the-park home run for Rotary. Podolski, Hoffman and Gabriel Voudren each had one hit.
Noah Burns-Demalo belted a three-run home run on Saturday to lead Sokoloski Landscaping to a 8-4 win over Turners Falls in Frontier Cal Ripken baseball game at Memorial Field in Deerfield.
Gavin Mariani had a solid day on the mound for Sokoloski, striking out six of the nine batters he faced.
Brady Bruscoe pitched well in the loss, while Matt Crossman and Logan Addison each played well defensively for Turners Falls.
• In other action, Rohan Edwards, Brandon Royal and Jake Whitney combined to strike out 11 as the Deerfield Royals beat BGH Dental, 8-1, at Memorial Field in Deerfield on Saturday.
Royal had two hits and one RBI in the win, Cameron Wrisley and Whitney each had one hit and one RBI, and Edwards added a hit.
Jakob Stafford and Jackson Harper each struck out three in the loss.
• In 50/70 division play, Jack Donohue and Bennett Pitcher each hit grand slams on Sunday to lead New England Greenscape to a 15-0 win over Goggins Real Estate in Northampton.
Declan Cullinane struck out five to earn the win. Bryan Baumann had two hits and one double in the win, while Dylan Apanell singled, doubled and scored three runs. Garrett DeForest doubled and singled, while Christian Tillona, Ben Morse and Sam Felton-Emrick each had two hits.
Frontier 9s win
Quinn McNutt netted a pair of goals Saturday as Frontier edged Westfield United Soccer Club, 2-1, in a Pioneer Valley Junior Soccer League Under-9 Division boys’ game at Sunderland Elementary School.
Chanhee Son assisted on both goals in the win, while Matt Lavoine picked up one helper. Lavoine, Jake Petrin and Dashiell Polson-Filas combined to make 11 saves for Frontier, which improved to 5-1-1 on the season.