Some clouds
61°
Some clouds
Hi 80° | Lo 55°

Letter: Fire safety help

Recently, just as I was falling asleep, my smoke detector started beeping to let me know it needed a new battery. In my fatigued attempts to make it stop, it fell off the ceiling completely. Then it sat on a filing cabinet for several weeks. Every time I looked at it, I felt guilty but I kept putting off doing anything about it. Finally I started researching on the Internet, trying to figure out where my smoke detectors should be placed and what type I should have. There is a lot of information out there — maybe too much information. I was still confused about exactly what I needed to do. Finally, it occurred to me to call the Greenfield Fire Department and ask for help. It turns out they have a fire prevention specialist — Capt. Edward Jarvis. Capt. Jarvis generously offered to make an appointment with me to walk through my house and give me the information I needed. I learned that I needed combined photoelectric and carbon monoxide detectors outside of the bedrooms. In the stairways, I needed combined photo-electric and photo-ionization detectors. It took about 10 minutes for the captain to walk through my house and give me all the information I needed. I’m sleeping much better now that I have all the right smoke detectors in the right places. I really appreciate the Fire Department and the captain for their service and their time. I encourage others to get the help they need to keep their homes and their families safe from fire.

GLENN JOHNSON

Greenfield

Recommended for You
There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.