Hi 39° | Lo 19°

2nd suspect charged in barn arson

MONTAGUE CENTER — A second suspect has been arraigned on arson charges for the late-night 16 Hatchery Road fire that destroyed two barns from the 1800s, and scorched an occupied mobile home on March 25.

Matthew Tetreault, 18, of 114 Maple St., Greenfield, was arraigned in Greenfield District Court on three counts of arson: two counts for the barns and one count of arson on a dwelling.

According to the state fire marshal’s office, Tetreault turned himself in to police on Wednesday, accompanied by his lawyer, and was arraigned in Greenfield District Court. After a hearing to determine if he is dangerous, Tetreault was released on personal recognizance, on these conditions: that he have no contact with either witnesses or the alleged victims, does not possess firearms, continues medical treatments, and either looks for work or pursues a General Education Diploma.

His next court date will be May 1 in Superior Court.

According to information provided in court documents by the Montague Police Department, Tetreault was seen on the night of the fire with Cody L. Adams, the son of fire victim Robert Adams and stepson of Lisa Adams. Cody Adams, 22, of Greenfield was arraigned on arson charges on March 27 and is being held without bail at the Franklin County House of Corrections.

Cody Adams was questioned about the fire after he’d had a heated argument with his father, and his vehicle was seen in the vicinity during the fire. Cody’s vehicle was seen by State Trooper Michael O’Neil, who was responding to the fire, and who took down the license plate number.

Cody Adams later told police he had set fire to both barns.

According to Sgt. Christopher Bonnett of the Montague Police Department, Tetreault had been seen with Adams at a gas station around 9:30 p.m., where Adams was attempting to buy multiple gas cans. There were surveillance cameras in the station.

After Adams’ arrest, Adams asked if he could call “Matt,” but didn’t know the phone number, because his cell phone had been taken. Police held the cell phone for Adams, so that he could copy down the phone number, which was later traced to Matt Tetreault.

Later, Robert Adams told police that someone else had told him Tetreault was in Cody’s car on the night of the fire.

Lisa and Robert Adams are trying to build an organic farm on the property and were sleeping in the mobile home until Lisa Adams was awakened by the sounds of screeching of car tires pulling away from the scene. The two barns were not insured.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.