Homeless man held on charges of rape, kidnapping, attempted murder after Greenfield incident

GREENFIELD — An area homeless man charged with attempted murder, rape, kidnapping, and other violent crimes was ordered held without bail Friday in a dangerousness hearing.

David Cote, 22, has plead innocent to charges of rape, kidnapping, attempted murder, threatening to commit murder, five counts of domestic assault and battery, and two counts of malicious destruction of property.

The charges stem from a disturbance reported Sunday.

At about 3:30 a.m., police responded to a Quincy Street residence, where the caller said a friend was being held against her will and beaten, according to a report filed by officer Megan Gilbert.

When Gilbert and officer Aaron McCloud responded to the residence, the home was dark, and the resident first denied police entry, stating that only she and a friend, the alleged victim, were in the apartment. Upon learning that there was also an infant upstairs, police entered the apartment to check on the child’s welfare, according to the report.

The suspect was allegedly found hiding in the shower.

The alleged victim, a Vermont woman, told Gilbert that she had been hit earlier by her boyfriend, who also refused to let her leave the apartment. She went on to detail a pattern of violence that lasted several days, beginning on May 30 and lasting into the early hours of Sunday morning, according to the report.

On May 30, she told police, the suspect beat her and snapped her cell phone in half because she bought yellow cheese instead of white, wrote Gilbert.

On May 31, wrote Gilbert, the victim said the suspect punched her female friend multiple times and threw a full bottle of soda at her, because the two were spending time together and he believed there to be a romantic relationship between the women.

Later that evening, the woman said, the suspect coerced her into having sex with him, and did not stop when she asked him to, according to the report. She said she tried to leave the bedroom afterward, but the suspect barred her from doing so and shut her foot in the door, wrote Gilbert.

When she was able to leave the room, she said, the suspect told her he would kill her, and have his brother take her child, according to the report.

The morning of June 1, the woman and suspect began to argue, wrote Gilbert, and he began to choke her by hand, later using his elbow to block off her airflow for about five minutes.

That night, the victim said, the suspect held her head in his hands, and bashed it against his own forehead, then pushing her into a lamp, according to Gilbert’s report.

The victim told Gilbert that she wanted to leave and go home to Vermont, but was afraid to leave her 4-month-old son in the apartment.

She also told police that she had a previous Vermont restraining order against the suspect, but dropped the order amid threats from the man, wrote Gilbert. She also told the officer that she would not testify in court, for fear of repercussions from the suspect and his associates.

Cote is being held without bail at the Franklin County Jail, and is scheduled to appear in court July 11.

David Rainville can be reached at:
or 413-772-0261, ext. 279

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.