Hi 27° | Lo 17°

Greenfield man charged in restaurant supplier break-in

GREENFIELD — An area man faces felony charges in the 2013 burglary of a local business.

Eric Boyer, 30, of an unknown address, pleaded innocent to charges of breaking into a depository, larceny over $250 and receiving stolen property over $250 in Greenfield District Court Wednesday.

He is accused of breaking into a local restaurant supplier and stealing a safe containing $1,500 cash, as well as taking several tools and pieces of equipment.

Police responded to R.D. Smith Inc. on Wells Street on June 8, 2013, for a report of an overnight break-in.

They found that someone had cut a hole through the garage door with a hacksaw before busting the locks off the roll-up door, stole the business’ steel safe valued at $1,000 and made off with more than $1,600 worth of tools and equipment, according to a report by Detective Todd Clark.

The stolen tools included different types of power saws, a cordless drill, a two-wheeled dolly and a full tool box worth $800, according to court documents.

Officers collected a broken coffee pot and Tupperware container that had been moved from the top of the safe, as well as four brass doorknobs that broke off the strongbox, to dust for fingerprints, according to Clark’s report.

Police later received a tip about the safe’s location.

On Aug. 21, police responded to Bayberry Courts, part of the Leyden Woods housing development, where the discarded safe was covered in a red cloth and surrounded by chairs, apparently being used as a patio table, according to Clark’s report.

Boyer’s ex-girlfriend told police that Boyer showed up at her house at about 2 a.m. one night with the safe in the back of a white pickup, according to a report by Det. Sgt. Daniel McCarthy.

The ex-girlfriend told police that Boyer loaded the safe onto a dolly and brought it into her living room, where he began to tear it apart, wrote McCarthy.

The safe was found riddled with “several hundred holes” made by a drill, according to McCarthy. He wrote that the suspect drilled holes in the steel top, then chipped his way through 6 to 8 inches of concrete before drilling into the interior metal box, and removing the cash and paperwork, wrote McCarthy.

Once police determined Boyer was a suspect, they applied for an arrest warrant, and he evaded capture until this week.

Boyer was ordered held on $2,000 cash bail Wednesday and scheduled to return to court May 20 for a pretrial conference.

You can reach David Rainville at: drainville@recorder.com or 413-772-0261, ext. 279 or @RecorderRain

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.