Mohawk evacuated for electrical fire
BUCKLAND — School ended at 9:15 a.m. Friday for Mohawk Trail Regional School students and teachers, as Buckland Fire Department firefighters and school electricians looked for the source of an acrid electrical burning odor that grew stronger throughout the morning.
Superintendent Michael Buoniconti said the building was evacuated as a precaution, before staff and students were sent home.
The cause of the smell was found to be a failing ventilator motor in the ceiling, above the school library. Buoniconti said the motor was disconnected and the fumes were ejected from the building.
Buoniconti said the ventilator motor was old and had nothing to do with recent “green repair” renovations at the school.
He said there was no damage to the building, other than the burned-out motor.
School will resume as usual on Monday morning.