Hikers, who triggered avalanche in NH, rescued

MOUNT WASHINGTON, N.H. — New Hampshire officials say two hikers were taken to the hospital after being rescued from an avalanche slide in Mount Washington’s Tuckerman Ravine.

White Mountain National Forest officials say a half dozen organizations participated in the overnight rescue.

They say two hikers descending from the summit in low visibility missed the turn from the Tuckerman Ravine Trail onto the Lion Head Trail and continued down Tuckerman Ravine.

National forest spokeswoman Colleen Mainville said the two unknowingly entered an avalanche area known as “the Lip” — triggering the avalanche that carried them 800 feet over rocks, cliffs and icy snow surfaces. They came to rest at the bottom of Tuckerman Ravine, in the area known as “The Lunch Rocks.”

Mainville said rescuers were able to locate the injured and disoriented hikers, who managed with assistance to hike down to the Hermit Lake shelters. From there they were transported by a U.S. Forest Service snow cat to ambulances waiting at Pinkham Notch.

White Mountain National Forest officials are not releasing the hikers’ names. Mainville said she doesn’t know whether they were admitted to the hospital, but she said they were treated on the mountain for bumps and bruises and one appeared to have a fractured arm.

She said the avalanche occurred at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday and the call for help came in just after 8 p.m. The pair and their rescuers reached Pinkham Notch at about 2 a.m. Sunday.

“They were very, very lucky,” Mainville said Sunday.

White Mountain National Forest snow rangers and volunteers from the International Mountain Climbing School, the Mountain Rescue Service of North Conway, Appalachian Mountain Club, Harvard Mountaineering Club and Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue participated in what she described as a very difficult and dangerous rescue mission.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.