Some clouds
60°
Some clouds
Hi 78° | Lo 58°

Cigarette a culprit in 3-alarm wedding venue fire

Firefighters respond to a multiple alarm fire at the popular Lakeview Pavilion in Foxboro, Mass., Saturday, April 5, 2014. A wedding was taking place at the time of the fire. (AP Photo/The Sun Chronicle, Mark Stockwell)

Firefighters respond to a multiple alarm fire at the popular Lakeview Pavilion in Foxboro, Mass., Saturday, April 5, 2014. A wedding was taking place at the time of the fire. (AP Photo/The Sun Chronicle, Mark Stockwell)

FOXBOROUGH — A firefighter says a cigarette tossed onto mulch may have caused a destructive fire at a popular wedding venue in Foxborough.

Deputy Fire Chief Steven Bagley tells The Boston Globe that the fire at the Lakeview Pavilion on Saturday night then spread to the building.

No injuries were reported.

Bagley says the building did not have sprinklers and firefighters took water from a nearby pond. He says the building is being demolished.

Justice of the Peace Jerry Cibley says the fire began at the end of a wedding as the couple, their groomsmen and bridesmaids walked down the center aisle. He told WCVB that between 140 and 150 people attended the wedding.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.