Hi 9° | Lo -11°

Millers Falls abduction report a false alarm

MILLERS FALLS — A middle-of-the-night search for a missing child turned up father and son, safe and sound.

Shortly after 3 a.m. Friday, a Newton Street woman called Montague Police to report that her soon-to-be ex-husband had taken off with their 7-year-old son.

“The actual incident was nowhere near what it seemed to be,” said Montague Police Sgt. Christopher Bonnett.

It first appeared to be a child abduction, but wound up a case of miscommunication, he said.

The couple, in the middle of a divorce, were having an argument, and the husband decided to take their child and find another place to spend the night, according to Bonnett.

However, that came out after father and son were found. Bonnett said he can’t be sure if the husband didn’t tell his wife where he was taking their child, or if she neglected to tell police.

Todd K. Addison, 44, and his son, were found sleeping in a vacant apartment about 1∕ 4-mile away on Bridge Street, said Bonnett.

Though it turned out not to be an abduction, several resources were called in to search for the father and son. Bonnett said about 15 firefighters, from Turners Falls and Greenfield, as well as Montague and Erving police and K-9 units and state police, assisted in the search. A state police helicopter was requested, but called off when the two were found.

Addison was arrested, and charges of reckless endangerment of a child, breaking and entering in the night for a felony, and disorderly conduct, are pending against him.

There was no felony associated with the breaking and entering charge, said Bonnett. He said the specific charge is always used for a nighttime break-in, whether or not a felony is intended.

The charge may go away, in fact. Bonnett said the apartment is owned by Addison’s landlord, whom Addison said had given him permission. The building’s manager, however, contests that claim.

Bonnett said the landlord is currently in Russia, and police are waiting for him to return their call to determine if Addison had the right to enter the apartment.

Though K-9 units were called in to track the pair, Bonnett said it was shoe leather and a door-to-door search that turned up the father and son. He commended everyone involved in the search for their top-notch efforts.

Bonnett said the father and son were unaccounted for for about four hours. Police first collected information and searched the neighborhood and nearby woods, and also called local cab companies, before calling in assistance to search.

David Rainville can be reached at:
or 413-772-0261, ext. 279

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.