Jail time for threats made to six women
NORTHAMPTON — A man who had been living in an abandoned railroad caboose was sentenced to jail after he admitted Thursday in Hampshire Superior Court to making dozens of harassing phone calls and leaving sexually threatening messages with six female real estate agents.
Carl Hunt, 43, who has no known address, pleaded guilty to 18 counts related to the calls made over an eight-day span in July 2013. He was sentenced by Judge Bertha Josephson to serve between three and 3½ years in state prison, followed by 18 months of probation.
Hunt pleaded guilty to five counts of threatening to commit a crime (rape), six counts of annoying or accosting a member of the opposite sex, six counts of making obscene phone calls and one count of misleading a police officer. All but the last charge are misdemeanors.
Hunt had also been indicted on five counts of stalking, but those charges were dropped as part of a plea agreement between prosecutors and Hunt’s attorney, Barry Auskern of Greenfield.
In pleading guilty, Hunt admitted that he collected the names and phone numbers of six brokers from advertising literature and began calling them at their work and personal numbers.
Hunt, who was living in an abandoned railroad caboose in West Springfield, according to Auskern, made the calls using a cell phone.
According to First Assistant Northwestern District Attorney Steven Gagne, Hunt made a total of about 75 phone calls to the women, leaving approximately 16 voice messages.
The calls were all made in the early morning hours and none of the women answered or spoke directly with Hunt. Gagne said the messages left by Hunt used the women’s first names and described graphic sexual acts.
Gagne provided transcripts of the messages to Josephson, but did not read any of them in court. He called the messages “highly disturbing,” and said the women were all concerned that Hunt — who knew none of them — would show up at their workplaces or homes.
In one message, Hunt told the woman he was “watching her,” “wanted to have his way with her” and advised her to “watch her back,” Gagne said.
None of the victims appeared in court. Impact statements from two of them were filed although not read aloud.
The calls were traced to Hunt who was arrested and initially denied having access to a phone or making the calls but eventually admitted he was responsible. That initial denial led to the misleading police charge.
Gagne said in court part of the reason for the plea deal was to spare the women from having to face Hunt and listen to recordings of messages he left.
Hunt will serve his sentence at the Cedar Junction Correctional Institution in Walpole.
While on probation, he must stay away from and have no contact with the victims, attend any mental health counseling ordered and undergo an evaluation to determine if sex offender treatment is needed.
Hunt was given credit for 320 days of time already served while being held on $15,000 bail.
Bob Dunn can be reached at email@example.com.