Evaluation set for man in alleged stabbing

NORTHAMPTON — A homeless man will be held without bail while he undergoes a court-ordered psychiatric exam after allegedly stabbing a woman with a pair of scissors, chasing after her and assaulting two other people Saturday night.

According to police, Darreus J. Lisenby, 22, pursued the stabbing victim shouting “Kill, kill, kill. I want to play some more,” while she hid in the brush near the Afiya House at 256 Jackson St., a respite home.

Lisenby pleaded not guilty in Northampton District Court Monday to charges of attempted murder, four counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (knife), assault with a dangerous weapon (knife), intimidation of a witness, larceny over $250, threatening to commit a crime (murder) and assault and battery.

Judge W. Michael Goggins ordered that Lisenby undergo an evaluation at the Bridgewater State Hospital.

According to police, the attack took place about 11:15 p.m. when Lisenby was in the house with three other people who were looking for a set of car keys.

According to witnesses, Lisenby went into the living room in the house just before a woman screamed, “Stop, what are you doing?”

The woman ran out of the house and warned the others to do the same while Lisenby pursued her with a pair of scissors with which he had stabbed her, police said. Lisenby chased the woman toward the woods where he taunted her and ran off after he could not find her, according to court records.

The victim also was punched in the face several times by Lisenby and had several wounds and defensive marks on her chest and arms, according to police. She also appeared to have wounds on her nose and chest, but it was difficult to see where her injuries were due to a large amount of blood covering her body, police said.

Lisenby also punched a man in the jaw and another woman in the face before fleeing the house, and there was a “significant” amount of blood splattered on the floor and walls of the first floor, police said.

According to police, Lisenby also hid four cordless telephones inside the house, in an apparent attempt to prevent calls from being made, and stole a set of car keys. Police caught up to Lisenby on King Street and arrested him at gunpoint.

The stabbing victim was treated for non-life threatening injuries at Cooley Dickinson Hospital and later released, according to police.

Afiya House is a respite home that is part of the Western Mass Recovery Learning Community, which is largely funded through state Department of Mental Health grants. The Afiya House website states that it is the first peer-run respite house in Massachusetts and one of 13 in the country.

According to police, Lisenby has an “extensive” arrest history in Georgia including charges of aggravated assault, cruelty to children and battery and trespassing. Lisenby is due back in court on June 6 for a pre-trial hearing.

Bob Dunn can be reached at bdunn@gazettenet.com.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.