Some clouds
52°
Some clouds
Hi 55° | Lo 39°

Quick thinking saves Colrain barn

  • A firefighter checks a Foundry Village Road barn for hot spots using a thermal imager after a brush fire singed the structure Tuesday afternoon in Colrain.<br/>Recorder/David Rainville

    A firefighter checks a Foundry Village Road barn for hot spots using a thermal imager after a brush fire singed the structure Tuesday afternoon in Colrain.
    Recorder/David Rainville Purchase photo reprints »

  • Firefighters check for smoldering embers after extinguishing a brushfire that nearly set a barn ablaze Tuesday afternoon on Foundry Village Road in Colrain.<br/>Recorder/David Rainville

    Firefighters check for smoldering embers after extinguishing a brushfire that nearly set a barn ablaze Tuesday afternoon on Foundry Village Road in Colrain.
    Recorder/David Rainville Purchase photo reprints »

  • A firefighter checks a Foundry Village Road barn for hot spots using a thermal imager after a brush fire singed the structure Tuesday afternoon in Colrain.<br/>Recorder/David Rainville
  • Firefighters check for smoldering embers after extinguishing a brushfire that nearly set a barn ablaze Tuesday afternoon on Foundry Village Road in Colrain.<br/>Recorder/David Rainville

COLRAIN — Fast action and a garden hose kept a brush fire from spreading to a nearby barn Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to 57 Foundry Village Road for a structure fire at about 3:30 p.m. They got there to find that the owners’ neighbors had already sprung into action and kept the flames at bay with a garden hose.

“There were flames touching the barn,” said Fire Lt. Kevin Worden II. “Luckily, the neighbors were home. Their garden hose helped considerably.”

Without their help, said Worden, the fire could have spread to the barn before firefighters arrived. Thanks to the neighbors, though, the building was saved, though a little singed.

Worden said neighbors first thought the barn was burning, due to the smoke billowing from the back of the building. It turned out to be a permitted brush burn that got out of control.

With so little damage, Worden wasn’t sure whether the building inspector would need to examine the barn.

Though the barn was saved, the fire spread to a pile of construction debris behind the building, and scorched the hillside.

After extinguishing the brushfire, firefighters used a thermal imager to make sure nothing was burning within the barn’s walls.

Firefighters from Shelburne, Buckland and Heath responded to the scene to assist. After the fire, a small crew stayed behind to watch for flare-ups.

You can reach David Rainville at: drainville@recorder.com or 413-772-0261, ext. 279

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.