A shower
50°
A shower
Hi 62° | Lo 48°

Town hall fire out in minutes

GREENFIELD — A small, short-lived electrical fire caused the evacuation of Town Hall for a brief time on Monday morning.

Provisional Fire Chief Robert Strahan said the small fire started in a “battery backup unit” of one of the computers in an office on the second floor. It was not in the mayor’s office.

According to a town employee, the fire began in the Retirement Board office.

Strahan said the fire was out by the time firefighters arrived, because employees had used fire extinguishers on it.

“There was a bit of a mess created by the fire extinguishers, but that’s all,” said Strahan. “The building was evacuated for about 10 to 15 minutes, but everything was good after that and we ventilated the building, so everyone was able to get back in.”

Strahan said no one was injured.

He said the Fire Department got the call at about 10 a.m. Greenfield fire and police responded.

Strahan said the reason for the failure of the battery backup unit is still under investigation.

There are no comments yet. Be the first!
Post a Comment

You must be registered to comment on stories. Click here to register.